How much is 15.5g Anheuser Busch Keg worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Here is an ad on craigslist for a 15.5g Anheuser Busch he wants 40 for the Budweiser one and 20 for the other. Is this a good deal?

Dont see needing it for anytime soon but if its a steal ill get it. These can be converted to a brew pot, fermenter or simply a keg right?

Im interested in doing multiple 5 gallon batches is this a good buy for me?

http://modesto.craigslist.org/for/3156852816.html

Good to know, Im going to go take a look at it. Can this be useful for my 5 gal operation?

I wouldn't say it's a steal, kegs can be found for $50 fairly easy. I bought one a couple months ago for $25 in great shape. Kegs are VERY useful for a 5 gallon operation, even allowing for an upgrade on your batch size if you wanted to try 10 gallons.

I wouldn't say it's a steal, kegs can be found for $50 fairly easy. I bought one a couple months ago for $25 in great shape. Kegs are VERY useful for a 5 gallon operation, even allowing for an upgrade on your batch size if you wanted to try 10 gallons.

Sweet that is what i was wanting to hear. How could this thing be put to best use? Can you ferment in something like this?

Yes, it makes a fantastic brew kettle. I was using a 4 gallon stainless steel pot before I cut the lid off my keg & used it as a 15.5 gallon brew kettle. I haven't installed a bulkhead or sightglass yet, but my hop utilization has gone through the roof! If you have brewsmith, plug in a recipe & note the IBU difference when you switch from a 3 gallon pot to a keggle. You're going to save a lot of hops if you've been doing anything less than a full boil. I'll be picking up another one so I can give all grain a shot.

Right on good to hear. Ill let you guys know when I pick it up.

i got the keg today, its in good shape. just needs to be sanded with a light grit paper if i wanted her to shine a bit more. I disassembled the valve and gave her a good clean.

the75, so the big pot allows me to boil more aggressively, getting more out of my hops?

aeviaanah said:
i got the keg today, its in good shape. just needs to be sanded with a light grit paper if i wanted her to shine a bit more. I disassembled the valve and gave her a good clean.

the75, so the big pot allows me to boil more aggressively, getting more out of my hops?

I wouldn't say boil more aggressively, but it'll allow you to brew 10 batches easily providing your mash tun will allow the water volume also.

DrawTap88 said:
$60 flat is a steal. Also, it looks like the other keg is a firkin.

I made the mistake of buying a keg a few weeks back like this one with the same thought, this is a firkin. But it was not. Some kegs are shaped similar to firkins. They have a plastic bung on the side. But the big difference is, the volume. And the location of the dip tube. Firkins are not 15.5 gallons and they have dip tubes the are on the edge of the keg and NOT in the top center of the keg.

I wouldn't say boil more aggressively, but it'll allow you to brew 10 batches easily providing your mash tun will allow the water volume also.
I see...right on, thanks for the help!
I made the mistake of buying a keg a few weeks back like this one with the same thought, this is a firkin. But it was not. Some kegs are shaped similar to firkins. They have a plastic bung on the side. But the big difference is, the volume. And the location of the dip tube. Firkins are not 15.5 gallons and they have dip tubes the are on the edge of the keg and NOT in the top center of the keg.
I ended up only buying the Budweiser sanke keg. I passed on the firkin style. What's the benefit of having this style?

I ended up only buying the Budweiser sanke keg. I passed on the firkin style. What's the benefit of having this style?[/QUOTE]

The firkin or the sanke?

Firkins are cool for doing some one off beers. Check out the details about Firkin Fest in Milwaukee. On a homebrew level, it was probably pretty wise to pass on it...but dang if I wouldn't mind having a few.

Back