Making a Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterball

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting into All Grain brewing and curious if anyone has any good links or instructions on making a Mash Tun? Also, I've seen round and square coolers, any advantage in using one over the other? I've also seen using PVC pipe, and copper pipe. Again, any advantages of one over the other?

You have to use CPVC. I used PEX. It's big advantage is it was free.

The only seal is the gasket that came with it. Works perfectly. Drains fast and complete. Much better than having a braid loose siphon an inch over the bottom.
P1010434.jpg

There are many threads about round vs. rectangular, brass vs. stainless steal and so on.

That's the same one that I use.

I like the idea of using a round cooler, since I believe that I have less of a chance of messing up the bottom of the grain bed when sparging (since I do a dump on top and along the sides method). But that is just my opinion.

I made and use this tun as well and it is awesome. It holds temp great and I haven't had any stuck sparge issues using the stainless steel braid at all.

Back