Hops removal from wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHerc

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll, It's been a month or so since I did my first extract kit. After doing extensive reading (after the fact). I didn't filter out the hops from the wort. How bad of a thing could this be?

My next brew was a partial mash that included instructions on filtering out the hops.

I'm wondering if my first brew will be screwed. :confused:

It's not bad at all. I hardly ever strain anything; I just let it settle out in the primary. It's a personal choice whether you strain or not but it doesn't effect the beer either way.

I had hops residual in my glass the other night from a beer I kegged a month ago. I'm not dead yet so it hasn't bothered me.

I guess the extra stuff is due to the keg getting low and whats left is finally dropping out of solution. :tank:

It is a total loss... Send it to me and I will properly dispose of it for you...

:D

KIDDING!!!

It is fine... I ended up with a little hop residue after dry hopping an IPA... Kinda of a nice little reminder of the extra hoppy goodness inside..

:mug:

hmm... I've never even heard of filtering the hops out. I've ever done it in the many brews I have made.

I have a lesson learned from leaving hops in the wort, though. I went to rack my blonde to secondary today and after about 2 gallons, the concentration of hops in there was so high that I couldn't maintain a siphon for more than about a minute. When I got down to 2 gallons in the primary I had to resort to using a sanitized tupperware dish to scoop the beer out and filter the hops out with a small filter I found, also sanitized. And this was only with 2 oz of whole leaf hops. Today I am doing an IIPA with 8.5 oz of whole leaf and 2 oz of pellets. I will definitely be filtering at least the majority of the hops for this one.

You'll probably have a majority of replies in favor of leaving all the trub from the boil, including the hops, in the primary, but I strain my wort and I believe I have a much easier time dealing with the beer afterwards.

I got this strainer at the local Sherwin Williams store:
P1030112.jpg

It not only works great to get rid of all the pellet goop, it aids in aeration and fits a standard Ale Pail. When I'm through I rinse it off and toss it on the top shelf of the dishwasher. I thought this thing would only last a few beers, but it's got 8 brews on it and it's going strong. It does clog up a bit towards the end of the pour from the kettle, but I just run my SS spoon from the boil across the screen to move some trub out of the way and it eventually strains all the wort fine.

You'll probably have a majority of replies in favor of leaving all the trub from the boil, including the hops, in the primary, but I strain my wort and I believe I have a much easier time dealing with the beer afterwards.

I got this strainer at the local Sherwin Williams store:
P1030112.jpg

It not only works great to get rid of all the pellet goop, it aids in aeration and fits a standard Ale Pail. When I'm through I rinse it off and toss it on the top shelf of the dishwasher. I thought this thing would only last a few beers, but it's got 8 brews on it and it's going strong. It does clog up a bit towards the end of the pour from the kettle, but I just run my SS spoon from the boil across the screen to move some trub out of the way and it eventually strains all the wort fine.

Wow, that looks cool. I use a paint strainer bag when I ferment into buckets. I just strained out 5 ounces of hops from my IPA just now...

I wonder if that would have handeled all 5 ounces?

Howdy ya'll, It's been a month or so since I did my first extract kit. After doing extensive reading (after the fact). I didn't filter out the hops from the wort. How bad of a thing could this be?

My next brew was a partial mash that included instructions on filtering out the hops.

I'm wondering if my first brew will be screwed. :confused:

It'll be fine. You'll just have a lot of crap on the bottom of your fermenter is all. If you secondary, the excess will settle out and little if anything will be present in the bottle.

I just bought a big a$$ strainer from GFS. I've always strained into the fermenter, but most of the time it clogged at the very end (like the last 8 oz) of the pour. Sometimes, like if it was a beer that was special (like me) and I wanted every last drop of it, I would bypass and dump in the dregs. Seems to me this would be the worst part to dump in, but I've had no ill-effects either way.

I think if you're being patient and waiting for the yeast to drop, it really doesn't matter either way. Trub is actually good for the yeast.

RDWHAHB, brew another batch, and strain this one to see the differences. I bet you won't be able to tell, and you'll have two more cases of the good stuff :D .

Wow, that looks cool. I use a paint strainer bag when I ferment into buckets. I just strained out 5 ounces of hops from my IPA just now...

I wonder if that would have handeled all 5 ounces?

You likely would have been scooping out the trub to help the flow rate.

If you use a strainer at the output end of your hose, just be careful not to aerate too much.

I use a 1-gallon paint strainer on the input end of my racking cane. Works great and no aeration.

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

Hop_back_Cane1.jpg

clearwort2.jpg

I really like the idea of the paint strainer from Sherwin williams, also the strainer bag on the INPUT side the the cane. It seems like it would reduce aeration to nothing. I've got an auto-siphon racking cane, I'll have to try it out when I bottle this next batch. When I poured the wort from the last batch into the fermenting bucket, I had SWMBO hold my grain bag and poured it into the bag. It did a fine job of filtering the hop pellet sludge. Didn't make SWMBO too happy though, I accidently spilled a little on her.

BrewHerc.

I went by my local Sherwin Williams store. They did not have the strainer like you have pictured. He said he carried it a year ago. I really like that. Is there a part number for that? How much was it? I'm in the DFW,TX area. Maybe another location will have them. Either that or I go the paint strainer bag route.

I went by my local Sherwin Williams store. They did not have the strainer like you have pictured. He said he carried it a year ago. I really like that. Is there a part number for that? How much was it? I'm in the DFW,TX area. Maybe another location will have them. Either that or I go the paint strainer bag route.

I checked the Sherwin-Williams website because, like you, I saw that picture and thought, "Darn, I need one of these." Especially after fighting with holding my strainer and my siphon hose last night in one hand, other end of the siphon hose in the other up above my head. System flaw, right? In any event, they didn't have it. But I quick google search did find some hope:

ANTOnline.com - Encore Plastics 05185 PRO PAINT STRAINER

That said, you gotta love the $7.98 shipping on a $3.30 item... :confused:

There's always the whirlpooling method. I'm too lazy to look for a link to the discussion about it so I'll spend the same amount of type summarizing it :)

Basically, you stir the cooled wort in a vigurous circle and let is set for 10-15 min then rack into the primary. All the hops and proteins from the cold break chill twords the bottom and make a little pyramid into the center. No need for straining. A little might get through while racking but nothing that wont settle in the primary.

You can also make a handy aerator that goes in line while you're siphoning. A little piece of racking cane with a tiny hole or two in it. There's also a post on that but again...LAZY!

Oh man, me and Anthony_Lopez finally got all of the hops out of 2 carboys a few weeks ago. O M G what a smell. The hops were in there for like 2 months before we got them out. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm going to have to drop in the SW store I got mine at and see if they still carry them. I got it like a year ago, and I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long, but I only brew about a batch a month, so it's only had like 8-10 brews through it. I simply rinse it out in the sink well and toss in on the top rack of the dishwasher to clean well. The one I have with the cutout side makes it possible to turn sideways and dunk it completely in the sanitizer bucket as well, so that's been a real handy feature too!

Back