Too much headspace. Okay to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gheist

Reaction score
Made my apfelwein according to the great EdWorts recipe with the exception of a different yeast. I used the only open primary I had which is the one that comes with a coopers kit. Big honking job. Anyhow I have too much headspace. Been 2 weeks today since the start. After reading other posts on headspace being a bad thing I need to do something I'm sure. Should I fill it on up with more juice now or what? Thanks in advance.

Ed Wort's recipe starts and ends in the same airlocked carboy.

No open topped primary fermentor required.

I don't know what a Cooper's kit is. If the primary has a lid, use it, and airlock it if possible, if not rack to a carboy.

If you don't have a carboy, I would get one ASAP, and rack your primary into it, and airlock it post haste!

BTW - Keep notes on what you've done so far, and what you do next.

Who knows, you may be building a better mousetrap!

Pogo

Guess I didn't make myself clear. The Coopers primary has a lid with a big mouth opening and a spigot. I have about 4" at the top of airspace.

If you have an airlock at the top I wouldn't worry about the headspace as it'll be full of CO2. You run more of a risk opening the top and adding more juice.

Latest posts

Back