end of boil hops and removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudgonzo

Reaction score
A recipe (black ipa) that looks interesting and thinking about doing shows the following:

Add 1 oz Centennial Type hops and 1 lb corn sugar at the
end of the boil.

6. Cool the wort. When the 60-minute boil is finished,
cool the wort to approximately 100° F as rapidly as
possible. Use a wort chiller, or put the kettle in an ice
bath in your sink.

Usually, when the boil is done, I put it in an ice bath right away. My questions are:
1-When adding end of boil hops, how long are these left in before ice batch?
2-Should hop bags be removed before cooling down in ice bath, during ice bath, or just left in until wort is transferred to primary?

lg

Put them in immediately before removing kettle from the heat. Leave them in the wort as you transfer to primary.

One thing I would add -- I like to cover my kettle when I put those last hop additions in. It helps keep the hop aromas in. I have no idea if there is any science to that, or if it just my imagination, but it doesn't hurt. It also helps protect your beer from beasties.

+1 on Hercher. that would be the best way. And i two put the lid on and it does seem to help with aroma, again dont know why but i dont have to, lol. :tank:

My hops are in bags and I too leave them in utill the wort is moved to the fermenter. I like to drain all the liquid out of the hop bags to get all they have to offer the brew. Also doing 1.75 gallon batches can't afford to let any liquid go un used.

Back