You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you’re a home brewer when at the grocery store, your five year old says “look dad, they have hops”. You turn around and find artichokes.

I once had to go to the post office to pick up a delivery from a retailer who had recycled a Farams box to hold my order. The postmistress couldn't work out why I was getting cabbages sent through the post, as she thought that was what was depicted in the picture on the box!

I once had to go to the post office to pick up a delivery from a retailer who had recycled a Farams box to hold my order. The postmistress couldn't work out why I was getting cabbages sent through the post, as she thought that was what was depicted in the picture on the box!

I once had a hops package sent from idaho to N. California from a hop farmer friend....got searched on the way, probably thinking marijuana!

when 30 min after finishing a brew session and pitching your yeast...Your filling your beer glass next to the fermenter, and hear the first bubble out the airlock...and almost jizz your pants!

Guilty of checking the airlock every 30 minutes after pitch. And one of my most relaxing sounds to hear is the thump thump thump of the blow off into the stainless growler I use for a sanitizer jar!

When you find yourself sleeping in the same room with three active fermentations and you get so accustomed to that constant bubbling sound of an airlock that you are actually able to fall asleep listening to that.

you read a post like this...and wonder how people can sleep without it! (i feel sorry for people that don't homebrew, because when they get up in the morning...that's the best their going to feel all day)

When you get worried something is wrong with the fermenter because your wife is not complaining that her nurses scrubs in the laundry room might smell dank like pot. (fermenter is there because it is warmer 64f in winter)

29FBDAEE-E4A4-4EAF-A6E6-51BC35F78DD2.jpeg

You know you are a home brewer when you design an addition to your kitchen around the new brewery you ordered, including 240 electrical. Now in the process of redesigning for a different brewery since the Pico Brew Z2 is still not in existence. Including changing the 240 electrical to 110 20 amp.

When you look in your old smart phone and find a list of 9 recipes you wanted to brew next... In order.

When you, after 2+ years of kegging, finally have to bottle a batch because half of it is going somewhere else...and you find 22oz bottles ALL OVER THE HOUSE. Garage, kitchen, brew room, even a random grocery bag in the back bedroom that someone gave me way back when. And I am NOT looking forward to cleaning, delabelling, rinsing, sanitizing, filling all of them. Also when you're drinking on some 12s the husband brought home at 7am in the morning so I have some to use for competition bottles. Hic.

You might be a homebrewer if you're looking for something to eat in the pantry, and find a random 22oz bottle (not labelled) and stick it in the fridge...and 24 hours later discover it's the last bottle of your 2018 holiday ale. And it tasted fantastic. And then remember you wanted to age it another 6 months but don't regret it.

You know you're a home brewer when the weather changes your plans from doing something outside to "getting stuck" at home brewing and it is no big deal because you have enough 2 row and other ingredients to throw together a summer ale.

When you ask a pharmacist if they sell syringes in singles and they shove one in you hand and whisper "don't worry, it's free".

And then you're like "OH! No, I'm a homebrewer."

And they're like "Shhhh. It's okay."

So you shrug, pocket it and leave.
I learned the hard way that asking to buy a box of syringes "for my diabetic cat" was the standard line every strung-out IV drug abuser gives when asking for needles. The fact that I insisted on the .5ml U-40 insulin syringes my cat actually needs over whatever rando-sized turkey basters they were handing me made no nevermind; in their eyes I was just another druggy :smh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back