Snowy Winter & hops survival!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin

Reaction score
hi guys,

as noob at growing hops,
its winter time i wonder if snow and cold will kills my plant or no.

good or bad seems climate change changed our weather too, winter came early this year with lots of snow and very cold indeed!

should i cover them with something or any thing else i appreciate any insights

thank you

Cover with 6-12 inches of mulch. After the frost kills the bines cut them back to the ground

Don't bother with anything. I live in one of the coldest places on this forum and have never done anything with my hops. Once they are established, they are harder to kill than keep alive. The only time you might want to do something is if you bounce between freeze and thaw all winter, the hops may think it is spring and start up, but even then they probably will just freeze off and come back again.

My hops go through -40C winters and the only thing covering them is whatever snow falls on them.

thank you guys you put my mind at ease as always you are rocking :rockin:

btw rofl @ zombie phoenix that was new hahah

Anyone thing I'm in trouble for not trimming back my hops and we have had a couple snow storms and low 40s? I might just cut them back when it starts to warm up or I see new growth. I actually noticed a weed growing in the soil above my hop.

Anyone thing I'm in trouble for not trimming back my hops and we have had a couple snow storms and low 40s? I might just cut them back when it starts to warm up or I see new growth. I actually noticed a weed growing in the soil above my hop.

Seriously. It doesn't matter. Hops are like weeds. Cut them back now, later, whatever is easiest.

I *really* meant to cut mine back, dig out the weeds, and mulch before winter. But I didn't get to it. (I did cut the bines down to harvest...)

They will be fine. Most years I get a few heads poking up and then the hard frost kills them. More come up after that. Most years I cut the first ones that pop up while I'm cleaning the beds. Then I cut back the weaker-looking bines and keep only the biggest and strongest.

It's a long growing season and they grow REALLY fast.

EDIT: Although I have no idea what the growing season in Reno is like...

Latest posts

Back