Dubbel advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
I know this topic has been done to death, and I don't want to start any fights. I have read through the main threads relating to this, but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

I know that more and more people are foregoing the secondary and leaving in the primary for an extended time. I have been doing this myself, but have so far made only simple pale ales and such.

So, are some of you guys skipping the secondary even for something like a Dubbel? I have no problem with racking, but I'd be happy to skip it since I'm always paranoid about contamination.

Thanks

I'd say leave it in the primary for its aging unless it extends beyond 6 weeks. That's my rule, it could definitely go longer, but that is what I am comfortable with. Beyond that you can age it in the keg or bottles.

It's just like any other beer. Pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenate your wort, control the fermentation temps. When it's done fermenting, package it up. No need for a secondary.

This is debatable, but I secondary some Belgian beers to keep all the yeast in primary from cleaning up the phenols and esters you get from primary if I want those flavors to really shine.

Not necessary, but I think it can help if your goal is a beer where those yeast-derived flavors really come through. To be honest, I'm not comepletely sure how much it helps...just a theory that I am still testing out. If you notice, the Trappist breweries will have primary times of 1 week or less, even for some of the tripels, followed by cold conditioning in secondary.

Latest posts

Back