cold secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I just took a look at the secondary in my room and the temp says that is around 58-60 degrees is that too cold for the secondary, ive think i have read in some posts that people recomend colder secondary temps but im not sure. Its a extract brown ale kit, i switched out the light DME for dark its black as night and looks so delicious cant wait till drink it (in 4 weeks:(

Colder temps are just fine, preferable maybe even, as long as the beer has already fermented out. Was it at the temp during primary, or in a warmer location?

Remember the secondary isn't really for fermenting, it;s for clarifying and bulk aging.

Yeah that is a great temp (cooler probably is good too) in my experience for bottle and/or secondary conditioning. Those are roughly my basement temps...as of late a little lower. A little off topic but while we are on the similar subject...Carbonation, if you choose to do so at those temps will take longer in general but that is what I carb at.

Back