First time using specialty grains + Hops - Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Not sure where to place this post but here it goes:

I came up with this recipe from a few different Irish Red Ales i've found on the net.

4.18lbs Brew Canada Canadian light Extract
2.2lbs of muntons kit enhancer
1.1lbs of Crystal malt 10L
0.14lbs of Black Roasted Barley
24g Kent goldings (60min)
12g Kent goldings (15min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15min)
1 Nottingham Ale Yeast

Thanks in advance and i will probably be a fairly active member over the next few mths.

I have already ordered a corny keg draft system! :D

Edit: I realize the crystal malt should be darker but thats all my local brew store had. Next time i will be ordering online.

One thing that sticks out to me, I'd nix the "Muntons Kit Enhancer" and up the Extract to 6-7lbs, it' will make the beer taste better, most of those enhancers are just Corn Sugar.

Put a big ziplock bag around it and put it in the fridge, that should help to keep it fresher longer.

Just an aside, a lot of us just use DME because it's so much easier to store. As long as you keep it dry and out of the open air, it'll keep pretty much forever. And 1.25lbs of LME = 1lb of DME, so it's more potent per pound.

Put a big ziplock bag around it and put it in the fridge, that should help to keep it fresher longer.

Just an aside, a lot of us just use DME because it's so much easier to store. As long as you keep it dry and out of the open air, it'll keep pretty much forever. And 1.25lbs of LME = 1lb of DME, so it's more potent per pound.

What are your sources for DME? I have 3lbs waiting for me when i get home - i away working - but my Canadian source is out of Light DME.

I buy in bulk from NorthCountry Malt Supply 50# bags at a time. If I need anything other than that my LHBS keeps quite a bit in stock.

Back