If you had to buy two grains and two hops in bulk..what would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the market of beginning to purchase grain in bulk. I like IPA'a APA's,ALES of all types. and am willing to brew a RED eventually. I don't really brew dark beers since my tastes have changed since I started brewing.

My question:

If I had to buy two all puropose grains and two all purpose hops in bulk what would you recommend?

Thanks
Joe

Two row, and Vienna or Munich.
Magnum/Galena/any clean, high alpha bittering hop, and cascade or centennial.

If you like pale ales/IPAs, those seem like no-brainers.

Still learning the ropes...only 40 gallons under my belt and counting.

Thanks

I really seem to like the grapefruit notes in cascade and it seems to be in alot of the recipes (4) hahaha that I have done

hey annasdadhockey,

I am kegging the orange cascade pale ale tomorrow after a 21 day primary. It smells really nice so far. I am brewing BM's centennial blonde tomorrow...how was that?

Quick note to newbies like myself: Vienna and Munich are not interchangeable! Just wanted to clarify that, as my original post was a little ambiguous.

hey annasdadhockey,

I am kegging the orange cascade pale ale tomorrow after a 21 day primary. It smells really nice so far. I am brewing BM's centennial blonde tomorrow...how was that?

Let me know how the OC Pale ale turns out, I just brewed it 5 days ago, so still a long way to go. As for the Cent. Blonde, I overshot the gravity ridiculously, so it was a totally different beer. I've heard good thing from others that brewed it though.

Very cool will do on the apa. I hit OG dead on and will dry hop 2 oz of cascade in the cornies til they are empty....The beer will be ready on SUPERBOWL SUNDAY.

I am eager to brew the centennial blonde...bought the grains today. I am to the point to where ALL I need is ingredients. The beer grain bill/hops cost me 26.00

I am happy with the way my RIMS has worked out for me.

Might also consider a light or mid range crysta malt- 20 or 60L. And +3 to magnum, cascade and centennial.

I think I will get a sack of two row....some cascade for sure..still torn between the other...magnum is a pretty hardcore AA hop...never used it before

Marris Otter, 2 row

EKG, Cascade

But one is very english and the other is very american, so its hard to choose. but the grain is a no brainer, cant brew beers with only specialty grain!

Cascades and fuggles would be my two hops. I'd still have to buy some other hops, but those two would let me make a lot of my favorite beers.

Two row, of course, everyone is saying that. I'd go with Crystal 60 as my second.

As for hops, I'd say Cascade and either Willamette or East Kent Golding for the second.

You'll def want 2 row, and a high alpha bittering hop, I prefer CTZ (columbus, tomahawk, zeus) or galena. Then get Centennial or Cascade, personally I can't live without having both on hand. For a second grain choice, I like to have wheat on hand, since a lot of the recipes I make call for a good bit of wheat malt. Munich and/or Vienna are also pretty common in larger quantities. If you can make lagers, pilsner is a must have.

I'm going to have to go with marris otter and 2-row (2-row, if I could only choose one) and for hops... some kind of good bittering hop (I'm at a dilemma @ which one I'd choose) and then probably cascade. Call me boring, but I guess I'd stick with the reliable basics, lol.

Have to also go with Maris Otter and Pils.
(But it would be nice to have Munich too.)

For hops it would be Fuggles and Amarillo.
(But with the prices at Hops Direct you don't have to choose.)

You guys are awesome. It seems that the majority of you like 2-row unanimously and leaning more towards Maris Otter as well. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks
Joe

So...very important question: are you an all grain brewer, or is this grain for steeping?
Most of the grain recommendatons here are base malts (2 row,pilsner, wheat, maris otter, etc.) valid for mashing setups only.

Pretty sure my first bulk purchase was Pilsner and Munich malts, with Saaz and Amarillo hops. I ended up buying Warrior and Simcoe shortly after in order to do the DFH 90 minute clone.

Pils and varying amounts of Munich are great for slightly tweaking the flavor and complexity, then use specialty to style/taste.

I was contemplating bulk grain purchase and Hops purchase last year as I was debating on going AG.
However as I started growing Hops(first year 09 hops) and switched to AG in December, my per batch Grain's only came to $20 for a 13# grain bill and as I had the hops from last year... I thought I wouldn't need to bulk buy for a cost savings.

But now that you brought it up, I've looked at the bulk costs and what I paid and there is still substantial savings to be had just in grains.

So I'm thinking about it again. 2Row would be mandatory, then I'm thinking that Cara/pils or 60L might be a good start for what I like to brew. I have all the hops and room for many more types if I branch out.
What I have are, Hallertauer, Cascade, Centenial and Nugget.

Some Kent Goldings, Shaz, Tentanger (sp?), Fugle migh just make it into the hop yard in the future.

I've brewed several batches that cost me less than $3 in additional grains thanks to stocking up on low cost bulk grain, hops, and reusing yeast. I just can't imagine spending $35+ on a single recipe when you can buy 50 lbs of any grain for that price.

I believe Marris Otter and 2 row would definitely be the best bet for bulk.

who wants 55 pounds of 60l or 20l? It's not like if you have a recipe calling for 40l you can use double the 20l (you most definitely cannot)

they're way too specific to have that much of anyway.

Fuggles/ekg and cascade is a good combo for 2 hops also. definitely

Marris Otter and 2-row even though I primarily only do English beers.

Challenger and EKG for the hops. Once again a majority of my beers are English styles.

I would have to say Maris Otter and American 2-row for grains, with Fuggles and Cascade for hops. Gives you a broad range of styles you can do, and you can always buy an ounce or two of noble hops if you need to do something Belgian or German. Though, as has been mentioned, hopsdirect is the shiznit. Why choose when you can have them all? :D :ban:

from the styles you list, i'd got with MO and 2-row. Then just pick 2 hops that i liked. 1 with good aroma qualities, the other with good high alpha bitering qualities. I love Amarillo (which really can be used in either role), and then maybe something like Centennial or Columbus. All good in pales, but also give you the ability to make a good IPA.

it's a tough call though... I couldn't make that decision myself, so i went with 4 base malts and 6 hops. YMMV

I am pretty set on 2 row for certain and cascade for sure.

I am just concerned with purchasing some of your guys' recommended hops/malts and them not matching my beer making tastes and capabilities.

I like APA's. IPA's all ALES, browns (sometimes) and want to make a porter.

With that said...what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!
Joe

Hello,

I am in the market of beginning to purchase grain in bulk. I like IPA'a APA's,ALES of all types. and am willing to brew a RED eventually. I don't really brew dark beers since my tastes have changed since I started brewing.

My question:

If I had to buy two all puropose grains and two all purpose hops in bulk what would you recommend?

Thanks
Joe

I would go 2-Row OR Marris Otter and combine that with a Caramel 60L. I would personally pick the Marris Otter. And it just seems that the Caramel 60L is a great and often used coloring/flavor malt.

Hops - Cascade and Northern Brewer.

I think Im gonna buy two pounds of cascade just because. I will go with two row and maris otter....seems that these two grains are very versatile in the beerecipes I have tried....now for the other hop???? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Back