Tap-A-Draft question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the white lids that supposedly seal better than the black ones? I thought I was getting them when I ordered more bottles from Midwest, but they sent me the black ones.

I just opened a fresh keg and it's totally NOT carbed after 3 weeks of priming, however other two that I kegged from the same batch are rock hard. So I'm thinking the lid must have leaked and let the carbonation leak out?

I was able to get a bag of white caps from Williams Brewing when I ordered my Tap-A-Draft from them. I have used the black ones with success so far. However, to cut down on leakage, I put about three wraps of teflon pipe tape around the threads of the bottle before putting on the cap.

The only place I've seen them online is at Ibrew, but that's in Australia. Don't think I'd want to have them shipped from that far.

The ones from Williams Brewing don't look like the same white ones I see people talk about. The fancier ones are larger, all plastic and have some kind of o-ring in them. The ones at WB look just like the black caps but are a different color.

I use the black ones and have had no problems as long as I make sure they're on tight and the bottles stay upright. If you lay them down, they can leak. I'm thinking that one just wasn't on completely.

The only place I've seen them online is at Ibrew, but that's in Australia. Don't think I'd want to have them shipped from that far.

The ones from Williams Brewing don't look like the same white ones I see people talk about. The fancier ones are larger, all plastic and have some kind of o-ring in them. The ones at WB look just like the black caps but are a different color.

I use the black ones and have had no problems as long as I make sure they're on tight and the bottles stay upright. If you lay them down, they can leak. I'm thinking that one just wasn't on completely.

I believe the white caps I received are metal, while the black basic ones that came with the unit are plastic. I think the white metal ones have a rubberized seal around the inside. I'll check them out again when I get home. I haven't used any white ones yet.

There is also the big plastic pressure relief valve cap that has the black rubber o-ring inside, but that's something different.

You're right about the black caps. I seemed to remember mine being metal, but they're plastic. I did have one bottle that was undercarbed, but that was due to an error in priming. It was tight when I put it in the fridge, but when I pulled it out to tap it it wasn't. All the CO2 that kept it tight had been absorbed, leaving the bottle slack. I went ahead and tapped it and left it for a couple days before pouring and it was fine. Had to change out the CO2 carts a little earlier than usual though.

You're right about the black caps. I seemed to remember mine being metal, but they're plastic. I did have one bottle that was undercarbed, but that was due to an error in priming. It was tight when I put it in the fridge, but when I pulled it out to tap it it wasn't. All the CO2 that kept it tight had been absorbed, leaving the bottle slack. I went ahead and tapped it and left it for a couple days before pouring and it was fine. Had to change out the CO2 carts a little earlier than usual though.

So far, I've had decent success with the black caps. I do use the pipe tape on the threads to help get a more complete seal. I like the Tap-a-Draft. I'd like to find room in my little townhouse for a kegging setup, but, with the two kids, it's tight and my one car garage is currently pretty filled up with tools, motorcycle, bicycles...oh, and a car!! So, the Tap-a-Draft is a nice option! :mug:

I have the same situation. 2 bedroom townhouse, one kid, no garage. I have a corny keg in the waiting for when I have room, but for now the TAD is great.

I only fill one bottle from each batch of beer I make and bottle the rest. Works well. So far I've kept the pipeline full enough that when I empty one TAD bottle, the next is about ready to go and I have plenty of bottles to age a little longer and to share with friends.

I beat you by one bedroom!!!! Except, I have one extra kid...guess it's a wash! ;)

Well, I have to add a small report on the Tap-a-Draft. While enjoying a nice oatmeal stout, growler from a local brew pub, not mine, I went in to sort through some of my brewing equipment. While there, I decided to give a squeeze to the bottles from the recent Tap-a-Draft batches.

I checked my latest batch of best bitter, rock hard bottles, should be ready to enjoy next week, but I have two bottles left from a Coopers canned kit that I tried and found that one bottle was solid, but the second seemed a little soft. I found I was able to screw the lid on further and, as I did, a hiss of CO2 escaped. So, make sure those lids are tight folks!! I recently moved the bottles. So, it's very likely that the lid loosened up in transit. The fact that I got a hiss from the bottle leads me to believe that there is some carbonation still in there, but it's definitely not as solid as the other bottles.

Back