Using formula for calculating diastatic power for a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxer

Reaction score
I have searched the threads, and found a formula for calculating diastatic power in a recipe and found this...
Arpeggiator posted this in a similar themed question.
Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight)"

Sure, I get the mechanics of the equation but how would I read the results?

I ran the numbers for a recipe I have, and with 4lb of grain divided by the total diastatic power of 247.5 I got 61.87.

So my question is how do I quantify that number? How would I know if that were good or bad, or am I doing it wrong? Thanks for the help.

I forget the exact number, but anything over about 35 will fully convert. Closer to 35 you may want to make sure to check for conversion (and extend the mash time if it's not converted yet). You should be fine in the 60s.

Aaaaahhh its clear now. I saw others making that reference to numbers in the 30's and I get it.

For those of you that are techy with their gear, you can plug the formulas into MS excel and get a result without having to crunch numbers every time. That's what I did.

Back