Secondary Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
How warm is too warm for secondary temp? I currently have 2 big chest freezers (1 to store full kegs and 1 to control ferm temps). I usually use my fermentation chest freezer for my secondary's but I want to free up that freezer for new batches. I want to put my secondary's in my garage but lately it has been anywhere from 75-85 in the garage.

Is 75-85 too warm for a secondary that is completely done fermenting? I am dry hopping in the secondary BTW.

From what I know, the added heat after fermentation will only speed up the aging process. The yeast are done converting sugar into alcohol so they shouldn't produce any off flavors or fusels. I like to bring my brew to higher temps after the bulk of fermentation is done and during bottling to speed things up. I have not had any bad results, if I did I would always keep it cooler.

Back