Using the Word "Hop" in Beer Names?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Okay, I'm guilty of this myself (my most recent IPA is named "Audacity of Hop"), but is anybody else here tired of breweries playing on words with the word "Hop?"

examples include:

Hoptimus Prime
Hoptical Illusion
Hoptoberfest
Smooth Hoperator
Hoppus Maximus
Hop Stoopid

and many others...feel free to add to the list

Hopternal Emision was a fresh hop from Widmer this year. How can you not love that?
I have no problems with using hop in the beer name.

if its an IPA it kind of fits... It also makes sense to give a product a name that describes it. Using puns on "Hop" tells beer geeks that it is a hop focused beer, probably an IPA without even having to read further.

Actually I should change my answer a bit...I don't mind the use if it actually fits the beer, for example "hoptober" from NB is a bad use of the term "hop" in the name...with only 40 IBU's it just doesn't fit.

Hopternal Emision was a fresh hop from Widmer this year. How can you not love that?
I have no problems with using hop in the beer name.

haha! actually, I thought of one the other night that is similar: "hopgasm"

still, i guess the reason why I feel uncomfortable with it is because naming an IPA with "hop" in it is an attempt at being creative and unique, but the idea itself is a conformity. It reminds me of a quote I once heard: "you are unique, just like everyone else."

I've seen:

Tricerahops
Hop Czar
Hop Trip
Hop Wallop
Hoptober
Hop-15
Hop Rod Rye

Looked up some interesting entries on ratebeer and beeradvocate:

Hopocalypse
Hop Pocket
Hop Suey
Hop 2 It
Hop'solutely
Wet Hop American Summer

Some other ideas:

Hop-A-Plea
archbisHOP of canterBREWERY (groan)

Hopsecutioner by Terrapin Brewing
Big Hoppy Monster by Terrapin Brewing
Hop Project by Yazoo Brewing -- same malt bill, lots of different hop bills. 22 batches so far

I brewed an IPA my last batch. I too thought the "hopinsertnamehere" fanaticism had played out.

So, I called it "Lupulinium".

This would be an epic idea for an IPA series... One day, when I can actually brew as much as I want, I will brew the Twelve Hopostles and name each beer after them. The label opportunities are great!

I think it would be cool to do a series of all single-hop IPAs that follow that tact.
Something like:
Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, Galena, Magnum, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Simcoe, Summit, Warrior, Zeus

I think it would be cool to do a series of all single-hop IPAs that follow that tact.
Something like:
Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, Galena, Magnum, Northern Brewer, Nugget, Simcoe, Summit, Warrior, Zeus

Just so long as "Judas" doesn't actually contain hops. :D

A buddy of mine was just talking about this and had a few good ones. Of course there was beer and now I've forgotten most of them. I do remember Hop Gun (like top gun)

I've always had this idea of doing a strongly bittered doppelbock and naming it Hoptimator. I'm guessing others have done this already though as it seems fairly obvious.

Something like:

Or maybe do a single recipe that uses all twelve of those hop varieties?

Hoptimus Prime is one of my all-time favorite beer names.

On a somewhat related note, my favorite homebrew club name of all time is, without a doubt, Horsemen of the Hopocalypse. Beat that. They're great guys, on top of that!

TL

The last beer I bottled was an Imperial IPA that I named "Hop Rape". After 8 ounces of hops I think it's an appropriate title. :fro:

The last IPA i brewed I called IHop IPA. I used maple syrup in in which probably won't lend much taste but it did boost the ABV and helped the name make more sense.

My DIPA is called MaHopMa and the label my buddy is working up has a picture of Gandhi with a pint reflected in each lens of his glasses.

Back