pH measurement process - sample location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This Saturday, I'll be breaking in a new pH meter to start learning what exactly is going on while I mash and brew. While I understand how and basically when to take the readings, I'm not sure what steps is best to get the best sample from the mash.

When you guys are measuring your mash pH, how to you obtain your samples? Collect from the top, give it a stir and collect or pull a sample middle from the valve and collect a few cc's of runnings?

While I'm interested in obtaining these measurements, I'm also concerned about heat loss. Normally I don't touch the mash till it's over. I should add, that I use a 10 gallon round cooler for a mash tun if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Ken

I am currently just taking a single sample out of the tun, ten minutes after dough-in, after mixing well. It usually takes a few minutes until I can cool down the sample and make the measurement. I don't loose any considerable amount of heat in the process.

I guess the important thing is to be consistent on your measurements, so if choose to take a sample 10 minutes in. Always do it 10 minutes in. I understand the the pH is a moving target so this is why it is important.

I am interested to know what other have to say too. I know some folks take several readings during the mash perhaps they can describe how the pH of a typical mash evolves over time.

I give it a good stir about 5 min after dough-in, and take a 10-15 ml sample with a 50 ml beaker, but a shot glass works fine. I then put the little beaker in a larger container with a little ice water, which cools it down really quickly. Then I measure.

Latest posts

Back