Brew kettle/setup issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to AG and I'm in the process of gathering the necessary equipment. Right now, I've got a 7.5gal brew kettle/burner (turkey fryer) and I've converted a 10gal cooler to an MLT. The next thing I'm going to get is a wort chiller.
First question, is whether I can get away with using my ONE brew kettle. I'm worried that I won't have enough time to boil the sparge water while I'm waiting for the mashing. (I know the pot's a little small for 5 gal batches, so I may just do 4 gal batches instead, depending on the beer).
Second question. I don't really want to have to pick up the heavy brew kettle and dump hot water into the the MLT. The turkey fryer right now doesn't have a spigot. Should I go ahead and get that put in by my home brew store? The only thing here is that the turkey fryer sits only about 6 inches above the ground, so in order to have it work easily (drain to the MLT), I'd need to put it up a few feet. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to set this up? I don't have a table or anything in the house to use.

Thanks everyone for your help! :mug:

You can easily do AG w/ just a kettle and a MT. See denny's link below.

dennybrew

Rather than picking up and dumping large volumes,
a pitcher can be used to move a little at a time. You can also use any food grade bucket to collect runnings and then transfer to your kettle. You can also siphon chilled wort out of the kettle. Valves and spigots and tiered brewing sculptures are more of a luxury than necesity...brew on and adapt your process as you learn more. Heating your sparge water can easily be done during the 60 min mash.

Latest posts

Back