Fruit flavoring in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbear219

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer that was in primary for 3 weeks and now it is in the keg. At kegging time, I added 2oz of blueberry extract/syrup flavoring.

I did a blueberry wheat previous to this with the same batch of blueberry flavoring, but I bottled it. I added about 1.5oz to that and I found that it was PERFECT (SeaDog BluePaw clone) after bottle conditioning but over time the blueberry aroma started to fade, hence why I went with 2oz of the flavoring this time.

Well, after adding the 2oz I tasted it and it wasn't good. The syrup overpowered it. I'm still scratching my head on that. I added barely more than my last batch, which was under-flavored, and it took it over the top. Does this stuff go bad?

So, I sealed the keg and put it aside at room temp to condition thinking that since the flavor faded in my last batch then it will fade in this one as well as it conditions. Even if it doesn't fade, perhaps it would "blend and mesh" with the other flavors to make a more uniform flavor.

Well, then I read a post from someone else that said those syrups tend to get worse in flavor as time goes on (probably the last time I use them) and to drink it before it goes south. It's a wheat beer so we're talking a shorter than average time from grain to glass typically, so now I can't decide if I want to throw this thing in the keezer tonight and go for it or give it a couple more weeks to condition at room temp first.

Any advice?

I would let it sit 3-4 weeks personally. I had a cranberry wheat that turned out great. Was a tad strong initially. After a month I thought it was the perfect amount, which was noticeable but not very. I still wanted my wheat beer to taste like a wheat beer. Just give me a hint of what was added.

I think you're right. That was my experience with my first flavored batch as well, the flavor mellowed out over time. So, I am leaning towards letting it condition for a few weeks like per my original plan now.

Tonight I'm splitting my 5 gallon batch into 1/3 cranberry into bottles (still have extract left) and 2/3 into a carboy over raspberry purree. I like getting a couple of different types out of 1 batch.

Are you sure you didn't get some extra strong blueberry flavor right into the dip tube?

One of the many great things about kegging is that you can alter the beer later. ALWAYS add less flavor extract than you think you need, you can always add more, but once it's in there...

I brew a light wheat that I add blueberry extract to. Usually, I'll add 2oz, then let it sit for at least a week before testing it.

Are you sure you didn't get some extra strong blueberry flavor right into the dip tube?

One of the many great things about kegging is that you can alter the beer later. ALWAYS add less flavor extract than you think you need, you can always add more, but once it's in there...

I brew a light wheat that I add blueberry extract to. Usually, I'll add 2oz, then let it sit for at least a week before testing it.

Yea. I racked into the keg with my auto-siphon and then also used that to gently stir in the blueberry. Then I pulled my siphon out and let the beer that was in the siphon drip into my sampling glass so it came right from the main batch and not the dip tube.

Your batch sounds pretty similar to mine. A wheat with 2oz of blueberry extract. From what I've been reading, I'm fairly confident that it will be pretty delicious after I allow it to condition for a few weeks.

Back