dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
So after reading a lot of posts I have decided to forgo the secondary and just let my grapefruit blonde remain in the primary. I am planning on dry hopping with a little bit of cascade but was just wondering if it is ok to dry hop in the primary (as long as fermentation is done of course) or should I remove it of the trub into a secondary and then dry hop

thanks
~joe

Go for it. When you think about it, you don't leave the dry hops in for any longer than you'd leave the beer in primary once the fermentation's finished anyhow, and I've never had a bad experience this way.

"Primary only" worked great for my last batch. I let it finish fermentation for 2 weeks, then dumped in 2 oz of pellets for a week at temp, and cold crashed for another week. Everything dropped out fine. And it was my favorite beer to date!

Putting your beer in a secondary gets it off of the trub and let's your beer clean itself and clear out more.

You can dry hop whenever you want, but I still suggest using a secondary. Just my opinion...

Back