Kit recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
Have my first two batches in fermenters at the moment.:rockin: Want to get my third going ASAP and I want to attempt a partial mash recipe since both previous batches where extract. Eventually want to move to all grain brewing but feel it is best to learn to crawl before walking or running.:)

First two kits from the home brewer’s outpost, looking to try something different, anyone recommend a good partial mash IPA kit?

I'd get in touch with your local homebrew store first. If they can't help you, Austin Homebrew has some great partial mash recipes for beginners. They are still very heavy on extract, but for the first few batches, until you get the hang of it, that's perfect. As you move along, you'll basically be able to take all-grain recipes and use as much base malt as your are comfortable with, and substitute the rest out with a light malt extract.

I would wait to try your first two batches before you move on. You may need to make some adjustments to your sanitizing, ferment temps, etc. and it would suck to find out three full batches into it.

good advice, maybe i will continue to read the forum and absorb informaiton before heading into the next batch. But any recomendations for a kit when it is time?

If you have a LHBS and still want to brew kits...you can get full recipes from sites like Northern Brewer or FH Steinbart, then buy the ingredients locally. It is a cheap way to brew proven recipes for cheap and support LHBS.

Also the recipes in "Brewing Classic Styles" are great ones to try at home.

My taste run the gambit, lately I have been drinking allot of Deschutes, specifically Red Chair.

I brewed four batches before I even tasted the first one, so I know what you are going through.

I would suggest instead of trying another method, just pick out a couple of good extract recipes with steeping grains from the recipe section of the forum.

My first batch was a kit. The second one was a recipe from the forum. There are a lot of very good proven recipes there. My third batch I ventured out and made up my own recipe. All were good.

Read a ton of recipes, read a lot about technique, and just enjoy the process.

I'd recommend this IPA kit from Northern Brewer: Three Hearted Ale

While technically it's not a partial mash, it does include steeping grains for added flavor.

I brew mainly all-grain now but I would brew this kit again anytime.

Austin HS has their 20th anniversary kits on sale for $20, most (maybe all?) are available in a partial mash. I have the hefe kit showing up any day now for my first PM. :)

Thanks everyone! I think i'm going to create my own recipe over the next week while my two batches ferment and condition in the bottle.

Thanks everyone! I think i'm going to create my own recipe over the next week while my two batches ferment and condition in the bottle.

I did this, too. A few batches in and I tried my hand at recipe design.

My recommendation? Keep it simple.

Imagine if you baked 2 cakes from a mix and then decided "Hey, I think I will create my own recipe from scratch!" :rockin:

I made a few batches from my own recipes. Some were better than others. I've since decided to go back to proven recipes until I have a better grasp of the process and ingredients.

But hey! Go for it... It is fun as hell. :mug:

I'd get in touch with your local homebrew store first. If they can't help you, Austin Homebrew has some great partial mash recipes for beginners. They are still very heavy on extract, but for the first few batches, until you get the hang of it, that's perfect. As you move along, you'll basically be able to take all-grain recipes and use as much base malt as your are comfortable with, and substitute the rest out with a light malt extract.

Good advice. :mug:

Back