Soda flavor in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahiker6

Reaction score
So I recently kegged a batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein. This was my first time kegging, and I bought two corny kegs from my LHBS. The owner says that he cleaned and replaced the seals. They didn't smell peculiar at the time of purchase, but the apfelwein has a very slight soda taste to it now. Is the owner full of it, or should I have soaked the keg in oxyclean or PBW overnight.

I would have soaked them, there could be residue somewhere on the inside (in the dip tube for example). My LHBS says they clean them as well but I always give them a soak regardless. You can never be sure what they mean when they say the cleaned it. Maybe they just rinsed it out to get rid of any leftover soda.

Always soak a keg you have just purchased, new or used, and especially if it's used. Use some PBW or oxyclean first to clean it up, followed by some Star San or Iodophor to sanitize it. You might want to replace the O-rings on the keg posts and poppets. Once soda comes into contact with rubber the flavor is very hard to get rid of, it's easier to replace the parts.

Iordz said:
Always soak a keg you have just purchased, new or used, and especially if it's used. Use some PBW or oxyclean first to clean it up, followed by some Star San or Iodophor to sanitize it. You might want to replace the O-rings on the keg posts and poppets. Once soda comes into contact with rubber the flavor is very hard to get rid of, it's easier to replace the parts.

Yep, always soak with Oxyclean or PBW overnight and replace the O ring regardless.

How old is the Apfelwein anyway?

I'm sorry to hear about that. It's best now to mix it with some diet Sprite and have a light drink instead of tossing it.

its probably the inside of the dip tube, the inside of the post/poppet area, or the dip tube o-ring wasn't replaced, only the main lid o-ring.

When you guys clean kegs do you pressurize and shoot some oxiclean through the keg? Just to make sure everything is all clean and good? Or, do you just soak, rinse and be done with it? I'm wondering cause I just got 4 kegs and need to do some cleaning on them. I bought them from kegconnection, just so you know.

I take a new keg apart and soak the tubes in a wallpaper tray. Short cleaning, I always charge the keg and hook up a picnic tap to get cleaner or sanitizer in the dip tube.

You will still want an overnight soak and disassembly for kegs from the kegconnection. Take the new o-rings he gives you and put them on after cleaning.

EdWort said:
I take a new keg apart and soak the tubes in a wallpaper tray. Short cleaning, I always charge the keg and hook up a picnic tap to get cleaner or sanitizer in the dip tube.

You will still want an overnight soak and disassembly for kegs from the kegconnection. Take the new o-rings he gives you and put them on after cleaning.

Thanks for the advice Ed. Guess I'll get up close and personal with my kegs and take them all apart on Sunday for a major cleaning. Is it pretty easy to figure out how things work with kegs? I haven't really looked at them that much since I bought them.

Jekster said:
Thanks for the advice Ed. Guess I'll get up close and personal with my kegs and take them all apart on Sunday for a major cleaning. Is it pretty easy to figure out how things work with kegs? I haven't really looked at them that much since I bought them.
Easier than you think. Just make sure to keep the in and out posts lined up with there original spots. They can be different sized pieces.

EdWort said:
Yep, always soak with Oxyclean or PBW overnight and replace the O ring regardless.

How old is the Apfelwein anyway?

I'm sorry to hear about that. It's best now to mix it with some diet Sprite and have a light drink instead of tossing it.

Ed, the Apfelwein is just over two months old. I won't be tossing it. It's still drinkable, and my girlfriend thinks it tastes just fine - except for my serving it a bit too cold for her tastes.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Guess I'll be taking my other one apart, and giving her a good soaking.

Back