Composting poisonous plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it safe?

Had never given it a thought until recently. I was trimming some tattered stalks off of my Elephant Ears (taro) plant and about to toss them in the composter. I have a lot of other plants that are considered "toxic" if ingested.

Should I not compost the trimmings of these if the compost will get used on the hops or other garden plants?

i think you'll be fine as the micros in the compost degrade pretty much everything out. poison ivy and others that you don't want to touch might be best left out... just make sure your compost pile is completely done working before you use it and it should be kosher.

I hate elephant ears-

We made the mistake of running them in a chipper shredder. came out like a slimy stringy mess that took forever to clean

Don't know about taro, but rhubarb leaves can be composted without any problem. The oxalic acid breaks down according to "Organic Gardener".

Back