German Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
Just picked up a Hefe extract kit. I've heard you don't have to rack into a secondary - just leave it in a primary for 7-10 days and then bottle.

Two questions:

1. Is this ok?

2. Won't leaving the beer on the yeast cake for that long create off flavors?

Thanks!

rcjmil said:
Just picked up a Hefe extract kit. I've heard you don't have to rack into a secondary - just leave it in a primary for 7-10 days and then bottle.

Two questions:

1. Is this ok?

Yup, you heard right, this is the preferred, most used method for hefeweizens.

rcjmil said:
2. Won't leaving the beer on the yeast cake for that long create off flavors?

Thanks!

Nope. Off flavors may begin to form out at 4-5 weeks, maybe.

:mug:

I do 2 weeks primary and then into bottles for my hefe's. I don't think I'd go less than that just so you can be sure fermentation is completely finished.

You would have to leave the beer on the trub for over a month before you need to start worrying about off-flavours.

Enjoy the hefe! :mug:

yeah, 7-10 days is basically JUST enough time to get it fermented. Even at 4 weeks you likely won't get any off flavors from they yeast. autolysis takes a while to begin.

I just made a batch and due to moving it spent 4 weeks in the primary, It settled a bit more than I would have liked but otherwise it smelled fine when I bottled. I wouldn't do that again if I had a choice, but it was at it's final gravity in the first week.

If I were to do it over I would let it hit, it's final gravity then give it another week before bottling.

Sorry to kind of attempt to hijack your thread, but I'm looking for a little hefe advice. I personally just started (last night) drinking a hefe I made a few weeks ago :cross: Could be better but hey I used one of the kits and for 5 gallons in the low $20's I can't complain. I enjoy the beer and so did my friend helped me kill some of it last night. I'd definitely play with some specialty grain next time.... now on to the point! I have a friend who is yeast sensitive. She really enjoys wheat beers (I think she could kill someone for an Oberon) but has problems with too many unfiltered brews. I don't ask too many details and I'm not her husband so I don't plan on it! I want her to be able to enjoy the beer when we all drink it though so what are my options.
1) Longer secondary? This would take out some yeast but not the most effective and I don't want my hefe or wit to not be fresh.
2) Can I filter this with something like a wine filter, using the sterile sized filter to remove the yeast? I'm assuming I can but am not too sure if this is done much, just looking for a little direction.

The thought of a having to filter my wheats is making me sad :( I suppose I'd rather enjoy drinking with all my friends having fun though.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to add the best part of my hefe story! Last night when I finally tapped into my first keg, I invited a good buddy over and well my keg has about 2 gallons left in it.... it was only he and I.... His visit lasted from 9:30-12:00. Beer was good but sadly the state we were in wasn't so sad! Darn brewers best kit made me a good session beer but perhaps not enough kick!

david_the_greek said:
Sorry to kind of attempt to hijack your thread, but I'm looking for a little hefe advice. I personally just started (last night) drinking a hefe I made a few weeks ago :cross: Could be better but hey I used one of the kits and for 5 gallons in the low $20's I can't complain. I enjoy the beer and so did my friend helped me kill some of it last night. I'd definitely play with some specialty grain next time.... now on to the point! I have a friend who is yeast sensitive. She really enjoys wheat beers (I think she could kill someone for an Oberon) but has problems with too many unfiltered brews. I don't ask too many details and I'm not her husband so I don't plan on it! I want her to be able to enjoy the beer when we all drink it though so what are my options.
1) Longer secondary? This would take out some yeast but not the most effective and I don't want my hefe or wit to not be fresh.
2) Can I filter this with something like a wine filter, using the sterile sized filter to remove the yeast? I'm assuming I can but am not too sure if this is done much, just looking for a little direction.

The thought of a having to filter my wheats is making me sad :( I suppose I'd rather enjoy drinking with all my friends having fun though.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to add the best part of my hefe story! Last night when I finally tapped into my first keg, I invited a good buddy over and well my keg has about 2 gallons left in it.... it was only he and I.... His visit lasted from 9:30-12:00. Beer was good but sadly the state we were in wasn't so sad! Darn brewers best kit made me a good session beer but perhaps not enough kick!
You can of course filter your beer, this will remove any yeast from it. That would actually give you a style called krystalweizen (I believe, krystal something anyway). This would be a problem if you bottle conditioned (you would no longer have any yeast to carbonate with) but since it sounds like you keg, you could just force carbonate.

Sounds like you want to add a little more malt extract to your next recipe. :)

- rcjmil -

i've left plenty of beers on the yeast cake for over a month and had not problems. I've left beers in the secondary for months without a problem.

i'd leave it at least two weeks then leave it in the bottle for six. You'll thank yourself for it ;)

- david_the_greek -

i made a hefe for a party and was concerned about people not drinking it because it was cloudy. i left it in the primary for 3 weeks, secondary for a couple of weeks and i used irish moss in the boil. it wasn't crystal clear, but it wasn't near as thick as my other hefes and it tasted damn good. you might want to give that a shot

:mug:

Back