Bland nut brown ale...any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I've finally tasted my first batch...a nut brown ale which has been in the bottle for 3 weeks. It fermented for 30 days before bottling.

It was well carbonated and was drinkable, but it didn't have much flavor. Is this because it's still green? Will more time help? I'm getting ready to brew another batch, but would like to correct any mistakes I've made so far to improve my next batch.

I also noticed some bits of yeast floating around in the bottles. My assumption is that that would normally be on the bottom of the bottle, but since I took some of the bottles over to my friends house in the car, it got a little bit stirred up.

Did by any chance you use muntons carbonation caps to carbonate with?
If so they are notorious for leaving what is called floaties.

The recipe would help here, also there are different quality, "kits" so fill us in so we can help.

It was a partial grain kit from Keystone Homebrew in Bethlehem, PA. The grain was fresh and was cracked when I bought the kit. I'll post the recipe when I get home since I don't have it with me. Also, I used regular priming sugar...not the carb tabs.

I also noticed some bits of yeast floating around in the bottles. My assumption is that that would normally be on the bottom of the bottle, but since I took some of the bottles over to my friends house in the car, it got a little bit stirred up.

I think your assumption is right on with this. A few days in the fridge will get that yeast to drop out, but moving the bottles can stir it up for sure.

And post that recipe when you get home. It'll be the best way for us to know where to help.

Do you mean watery or just a lack of wonderful flavor. I've made both and the lack of flavor is lack of a good recipe. I've made some great browns mini-mash style but my first attempt was rather bland.

Lack of flavor. My friend and I (who are both beer geeks) agreed with each other. We were worried that it wasn't going to be carbonated enough. That wasn't the problem at all. The carbonation was actually perfect and he and I both remarked at how we noticed the carbonation much more than the flavor. It wasn't watery at all...just bland. Not enough body or something. It wasn't bad...just not flavorful.

i can't promise this, but i bet it will get better as it sits in the bottle for a while. make sure to set aside a 6 pack to test months down the road (if you can wait).

i can't promise this, but i bet it will get better as it sits in the bottle for a while. make sure to set aside a 6 pack to test months down the road (if you can wait).

I really hope you're right. I'm going to start another batch soon..just can't decide what to brew and where to get my ingredient kit from. I think I'll try something from Northern Brewer.

Also..any idea what the floaties might be? Could it just be some yeast at the bottom of the bottle that got stirred up?

Is that the American Brown you brewed? (American = large, go figure LOL)

8 lb. Alexander’s Pale Malt Extract
½ lb. Briess Crystal Malt 120° L
½ lb. Munton & Fison Carapils Malt 20° L
¼ lb. Munton & Fison Chocolate Malt 338° L
1 oz. Amarillo Hop Pellets (Bittering)
1 oz. Liberty Hop Pellets (Flavoring)
1 oz. Crystal Hop Pellets (Finishing)
Wyeast # 1056 XL American Ale Yeast

NOTE - all of their kits look like Extract with Specialty grains and not REAL complex which I believe you are looking for.

I believe the real problem are the recipes that are used in the kits at Keystone.

Also - check out Austin Home Brew - you will find that Forrest posts here and they have pretty good recipes and a Ton of them.

Brown ales are not heavy on flavor, body or hops, with a few exceptions. They are relatively rare in the US, so it's hard to make comparisons. Try drinking them around 55F. Or get some hazelnut extract and put a drop in each glass. I occasionally put a small amount of a da Vinci syrup in browns or milds.

OK...so here's the recipe for my bland nut brown ale:

6.6 lb. Munton's Amber Malt Extract
1/2 lb. Munton & Fison Crystal Malt 60º L
1/2 lb. Munton & Fison Carapilis Malt 20º L
1/4 lb. Munton & Fison Chocolate Malt 338º L
1/2 lb. Briess Victory Malt 25º L
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hop Pellets (bittering)
1 oz. Kent Goldings Hop Pellets (finishing)
Wyeast #1098XL British Ale Yeast

OG - 1.052

I'm no expert but I see bittering hops and finishing (aroma) hops but nothing at all in the flavoring range...

Still, I'm willing to bet that time will improve it just the same.

-Tripod

Back