Evanston IL Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody in Evanston, IL, I have the water report for all the minerals and whatnot...

pH: 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids: 214 (units?)
Electrical Conductivity: 0.36 mS/cm
Cations/Anions: 3.6/3.2 me/L

Sodium, Na: 11 ppm
Potassium, K: 1 ppm
Calcium, Ca: 41 ppm
Magnesium, Mg: 12 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3: 153
Nitrate, NO3: 0.2 ppm
Sulfate, SO4: 9 ppm
Chloride, Cl: 13 ppm
Carbonate, CO3: < 1 ppm (undetectable)
Bicarbonate, HCO3: 136 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3: 112

Looks pretty good for brewing right?

It looks alot like mine. The only difference is that you will have a more malty flavor because you have a chloride to sulfate ration above 1. Mine is about .5

Your water is fine.

Hey everybody in Evanston, IL, I have the water report for all the minerals and whatnot...

pH: 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids: 214 (units?)
Electrical Conductivity: 0.36 mS/cm
Cations/Anions: 3.6/3.2 me/L

Sodium, Na: 11 ppm
Potassium, K: 1 ppm
Calcium, Ca: 41 ppm
Magnesium, Mg: 12 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3: 153
Nitrate, NO3: 0.2 ppm
Sulfate, SO4: 9 ppm
Chloride, Cl: 13 ppm
Carbonate, CO3: < 1 ppm (undetectable)
Bicarbonate, HCO3: 136 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3: 112

Looks pretty good for brewing right?

Hi, I am another avid home brewer in Evanston. Or at least I would to think so :)

I pulled down the most recent water report, and I don't see all of the stats there. Some does not match with what you have.
It is located here: http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets/2010 Evanston Water Quality Report.pdf

Although I am on my 6th batch and have not had a bad tasting one yet. So I would say our water is pretty good. I do a boil of the entire amount of water. That may help.

Hi, I am another avid home brewer in Evanston. Or at least I would to think so :)

I pulled down the most recent water report, and I don't see all of the stats there. Some does not match with what you have.
It is located here: http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets/2010 Evanston Water Quality Report.pdf

Although I am on my 6th batch and have not had a bad tasting one yet. So I would say our water is pretty good. I do a boil of the entire amount of water. That may help.

The city's water report does not contain all the info I posted. I got the water tested by Ward labs.

Back