Cran-apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabledawg

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a batch of Apple/Cranberry cider. The recipe was for a 5 gallon batch so I converted the recipe down to a one gallon batch. My question is my SG was 1.100. Is that to high?

What was the original gravity on the recepie? What yeast are you using? no matter what, you will be fine, you will just have a long fermentation, long clearing phase,and probably a sweeter cider (depending on yeast)

EC-1118 will ferment out dry you are looking at 13 %ABV at least. 68-72 is a great temp for that yeast. You are really going to need to let this one age. Its going to taste like rocket fuel at first.

Here are some pics of my first attempts.
Here is the brewing area. I have three one gallon carboys going. From left to right Cranapple, Pine-Apple and Hard cider

Wide shot for the Cranapple

Close up of the Cranapple

The cranapple is bubbling away. Pretty cool and kinda hypnotic to watch the airlock bubble away. Thanks lapaqlia for the info on the cranapple. I will be sure to let it age awhile. The idea of drinking rocket fuel just doesn't sound refreshing.

Pine-Apple is going to really be dry also if you used the same yeast. It can be harsh with no sugars so it too will need a long ageing but it sure sounds good.

Back