Black Forest Stout with WLP099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkfuego

Reaction score
So I did some looking around the forum and saw some threads on WLP099 (High Gravity), but not too many.

Back on Veterans Day (11/11) my brew buddy and I brewed up a big Black Forest Stout. It was an All-Grain Partigyle so the 6 gallon batch (8 gallons pre-boil) had on OG of 1.120 post-boil. We started fermenting with WLP004 Irish Ale that was from a starter and then once the fermentation was going, we dosed the bucket with a vial of WLP099 on Saturday 11/13. It is still slowly chugging along at about a click every 5 or 6 seconds.

We still have yet to add the 2 cans (98oz) of Oregon Fruit Cherry Puree. My question is should we wait until bubbling stops before racking to a secondary or does it even matter since we will be kicking off a secondary fermentation anyway? I figure it doesn't matter since the fermentation will start again and it probably wouldn't hurt to have extra yeast still in suspension, but I wanted to ask the community for input and experiences.

Thanks so much!

dont rack the beer for at least a month. With that high of a gravity your beer needs all the time it can to keep fermentation going. Racking too soon could cause a stuck fermentation.

Id wait til the beer is totally fermented out to add the fruit puree. Then rack to another container and rack the beer over the fruit. You may or may not have to add more yeast. The poor little guys might be stressed out at that point.

I typically dont bother with a secondary anymore unless Im doing fruit in a beer, and for a typical brew i do no less than 30 days in primary. Your yeast cake will compact better giving you more beer, the yeast will also have time to clean up after themselves. Especially with a big beer the yeast will be a bit stressed and could give some off flavors that racking too soon will not be able to clean up after themselves.

Back