Good morning all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperbrian

Reaction score
Well i am looking to get into the hobby and i was looking over the Mr. Beer web site as i read in one of the stickies. Is this a good start? How long will it last me into the hobby? What package is most cost effective ( as in i won't have to buy extra stuff) And will i need anything that doesn't come in the kit!

Thanks,

Brian

I would hang out here for a few weeks before you jump in on the Mr.Beer kit. If I was you (and I was) I would start w/ the stove top extract stuff, over the Mr. Beer. Add a few good grains in there for some flavor and you'll make some great beer. I am not so sure you'll be happy w/ Mr Beer. I haven't had one I liked yet!
Just my.02
JJ

Welcome to THE SITE, it really is a great resource. Mr. Beer is a great start if you're looking for something quick and easy. However, if you're a big fan of quality brew and really want to make the best beer possible you'll want to go with a more advanced kit. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Beer is a great starter but if you decide to pursue the hobby further you'll be wanting to replace it after a couple batches. I highly recommend one of these kits from Midwest Supplies or Austin Homebrew. Both vendors are held in high regard and have great customer service.

Basic :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Brewing Starter Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Austin Homebrew Supply

Also, pick up a recipe from one of these vendors. They include extract, grains, hops and yeast separately which yields a better taste than simply lumping everything together in a can.

i havnt done Mr. Beer, but I have done some no boil kits like Coopers which I suspect are similiar to Mr. Beer. I have not been happy with it. Go with the kits mentioned above and extract with specialty grains. I did a extract with grains for my first brew, it was a stout, its gone now , but its still the best I've made yet.

I would hang out here for a few weeks before you jump in on the Mr.Beer kit. If I was you (and I was) I would start w/ the stove top extract stuff, over the Mr. Beer. Add a few good grains in there for some flavor and you'll make some great beer. I am not so sure you'll be happy w/ Mr Beer. I haven't had one I liked yet!
Just my.02
JJ

This is very sound advice. Read all you can on here and build a little more knowledge. Then put the above links to good use and get a starter kit. You will be MUCH happier in the long run.

Don't rush into it. I think a Mr. Beer kit is great for people to give as gifts, but if you already think you want to brew beer, then read up on starter kits and find out what you can make do with at home.

Here is what I think you need to get at a minimum, to get started at home:

Something to boil your wort in. Large stainless or aluminum pot.
Fermenting vessel. 5 or 6 Gallon food grade bucket with sealing lid (with hole in top for airlock)
Airlock and bung.
Something to measure wort temperature, like a cheap (but reasonably accurate) thermometer).
Hydrometer (ok, you don't NEED a hydrometer, but without it you might not know when the fermentation is actually complete.

Personally, if you think the process of making beer sounds interesting, or intriguing, then I'd start with 5 gallon batches on the stove using extracts (I prefer Dry) and do it right.

Maybe look this site for videos of people brewing. Some of us have posted them.

If you are SURE you want to brew (and why wouldn't you), and can spare the $100 bucks now, then go get a kit from the brewing supply store of your choice. Yeah, you could spend less scrounging stuff up, but you'll be thanking us later if you just have the basics you need to start with.

Back