Beers that give you heartburn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
Has anyone notice that there's just certain beers out there that automatically give you heart burn? Every time I drank a Rolling Rock in college (when they were still in Latrobe, PA) I got a ton of heart burn. Lately it seems every time I pick up a Yuengling I get heart burn as well. Is it from the preservatives in these beers or something else?

I've never got heartburn from homebrew or any microbrew (even though these two are technically micro's they contain preservatives for long shelf life), but after one Yuengling I'm reaching for some Tums. Anyone else have this issue with any beer?

Its most likely that those brews contain preservatives that stimulate the secretion of HCl into your stomach lumen, either directly or indirectly. EtOH beverages are just bad news for heartburn anyway, but if those beers give you heartburn, avoid them. Im lucky I have never had heartburn from beer.
-Jefe-

Drinking a bunch of bud will give me the worst heartburn ever. Pretty much any of that stuff will. Yet, I still subject myself to that a few times a year when its all that's available.

Pretty much any beer or combination of beers will give me heartburn if I have more than a couple. Sometimes only a couple will do it too. Sucks.

Every time I drank a Rolling Rock in college (when they were still in Latrobe, PA) I got a ton of heart burn. Lately it seems every time I pick up a Yuengling I get heart burn as well.

Well, stop drinking crappy beers!

I kid, I kid. I've had that happen once or twice, but never with homebrew or even commercial IPAs, so I haven't really had a problem lately.

I'm not sure it's preservatives- it could be a certain yeast, malt, water, etc. I know that some people are more sensitive to things like coffee, so maybe it's just something that's in those beers that aggravates your heartburn. I seem to have a cast-iron stomach so I've never been bothered by Yuengling or Rolling Rock.

High IBU beers such as IPAs give me pretty wicked heartburn. Sometimes it's after the first sip, other times it's only after 2 or 3.

I've actually got acid reflux and alcohol is pretty much a major instigator of the reflux. I've got some pretty good medicine I take for it daily. But before i was on that a heavy night of drinking would wreck me with horrible reflux/heart burn.

Now that I have better medicine I just typically drink whatever I want and then take a pepcid ac or two, or three...depending on how hoppy the beers are.

Back