Organic unfiltered applejuice for Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 gallons of organic applejuice for Sprout's Farmers Market. I thought that this juice would make some excellent Apfelwein, then I began to wonder about it's unfiltered and possibly unpastuerized state. The juice is organic and unfiltered, and it does not indicate whether it has been pasteurized (I will assume it hasn't).

Are there any problems when using unfiltered or unpasteurized juice?

Are there any necessary precautions I need to take when using unpasteurized juice?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/
there you go
my only tip is unless you realy love dry white wine.
take your apple juice and make hard apple cider[/QOUTE]

I did read through that thread, and found it interesting that unpastureized apple juice aged better for longer periods of time.

I really enjoy EdWort's Apfelwien recipe, I have some bottle aging now, but I wanted to try with this organic unfiltered apple juice to see if the outcome was better. I have never made hard cider, I'll have to look into that.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/
there you go
my only tip is unless you realy love dry white wine.
take your apple juice and make hard apple cider[/QOUTE]

I did read through that thread, and found it interesting that unpastureized apple juice aged better for longer periods of time.

I really enjoy EdWort's Apfelwien recipe, I have some bottle aging now, but I wanted to try with this organic unfiltered apple juice to see if the outcome was better. I have never made hard cider, I'll have to look into that.

Sorry to revive an old thread... but, I cant seem to find an answer.

can someone report their findings on using unfiltered juice for apfelwein... I just bought 3 gallon jugs of unfiltered AJ for the "mini-fermenters," and I want to make something out of the 3 gallons of juice.

or, does someone have a better suggestion?

cheers.

bump-

Did your juice look like this?
IMG_0971.jpg

Let me know how it turns out....
I started 5 gallons of Ed's Apfelwein with this last week and fermentation is going like mad, and seriously cloudy with sediment.

$3.80 for a jug of it, 3 quarts. I might have paid that for the glass alone.

They take a #9.5 stopper and look good for test batches. I have a Munich Lager yeast starter in one right now.

More good info on unfiltered AJ for apfelwein here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/what-apple-juice-do-you-use-your-apfelwein-150985/index4.html

Mine came out fine - if you like apfelwein - but it remains cloudy - it never clarifies.

I fermented about 6 months, then bottled half carbonated, half not. I like the carbonated better, but ultimately I'll give most of it away - I prefer beer.

I made some with a similar cider... and tossed in a bit of pear nectar, i think it was knudsen's...and around 2.4lbs dextrose... came out ok - little boozy, not quite as easy drinking as apfelwein using juice. Tho it is starting to clear nicely after a couple weeks in keg...prior to that it was a wee cloudy.

I'll choke it down somehow.:drunk:

At least the bottles are nice.

Right now it looks bad and smells bad, but time heals all things....

Latest posts

Back