What have I made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

Reaction score
So I have my first batch of beer in bottles now and just felt I had to make something else. I check numerous recipes and pondered a lot of stuff but finally decided that the best way to learn is just to jump in. Here is what I came up with (ok, BeerSmith helped)

1 gallon batch BIAB

1.75 lbs of 2 row (didn't really specify what it is past that)
3.5 oz Crystal 40
3.5 oz Crystal 60
Irish Moss
US Goldings

Steeped the grains for 45 minutes at 158 in 1.5 gallons. Sparged just under a half gallon at 160.

Boiled for 50 minutes with about .3 oz of the goldings then for the last 10 added a few more pellets of the Goldings and a pinch of the Irish Moss.

Target OG was 1.055 but landed on 1.052. Pitched with Wyeast 1214.

I see this as being the equivelant of a depression stew (just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot) but I figure it will be a learning experience. So I guess my question is... have I just made some dumpster food or will I get a drinkable beer out of this?

It's kind of similar to an ESB I brewed recently. Those are pretty much the ingredients I used. Not sure how many IBUs youll have with a 1 gallon batch tho.

Sounds pretty good to me. Cheers!

Sounds good to me. The Goldings with the Abbey ale yeast is an interesting combo that I wouldn't have thought of, but I'd try it. Good luck with your experiment.

You got a lot of crystal over there, that equals to a little over 2 lbs. for a 5 gal batch. That would be a Red Ale or a Belgian Red, since you used Wyeast 1214.

I guess I will have to name this one "Ignernt Ale" from "Paint Bucket Brews". This is what it looks like two weeks after brew when it transferred to a secondary (needed the primary). SG is at 1.012 with projected of 1.011. I won't complain about that.

Taste isn't too bad but I can tell the recipe could use some tweeking.

I found that 2 gallon paint buckets from True Value make nice little fermenters. Drill and grommet the lid and stuff a hose in the hole. Works great. I also use paint strainers for BIAB.

2012-02-11 12.21.22.jpg

Finally had the first tasting and I am impressed with it. It's a bit under-carbed but the flavor is very similar to Sam Adams Irish Red, only a bit sweeter. Will be doing this one again.

skeaterbait said:
Finally had the first tasting and I am impressed with it. It's a bit under-carbed but the flavor is very similar to Sam Adams Irish Red, only a bit sweeter. Will be doing this one again.

Try mashing a few degrees lower. 154-155ish. That will leave you with less unfermentable sugars and let the beer dry out a bit more.

Back