NB's Dawson's Kriek extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterOJ

Reaction score
I have to admit, this kit is very intriguing to me. My wife loves the Lindeman's Kriek lambic and I think it's okay, so I want to brew this kit.

BUT...I've been reading about it on the forum and it seems like every time someone asks about it, someone chimes in and basically contradicts what NB says about the kit.

The directions say to leave it in the primary a couple weeks and then secondary fermentation for "at least three months (and up to six)." They suggest bottling after four months. It seems like there is a lot of different folks on this board that say it takes 1 to 1.5 years to make this.

So which is it? I don't want to shell out over $50 for this kit (plus shipping), follow the directions and end up with a crappy beer. But on the other hand, NB has been offering this kit for a long time and they seem to be a company that knows what it's doing.

The reviews on the NB website are helpful to answer your questions. It sounds tasty.

Here is one:
Judging a homebrew contest last year I came across a Kriek that was just stunning.

Freakin amazing beer and should have won best of show but a local brewpub planned on making the winner and a Kriek takes too much time for them, so they picked the second place winner.

Talked to the guy who made the Kriek and he said he used this kit.

That enticed me to make it several times. I left it in secondary for 8 months, add the cans of cherries, then age 2 more months then kegged. Lovely beer that develops during age - the Kriek I tasted at the homebrew contesnt was 18 months old. Mine is not that good but it is still young (~12 months) ;-0.

You need patience, but will be amply rewarded if you like Krieks. Better than commercial products, and I've had them all. I am not fond of the super sweet Lindemanns style, I prefer more austere Boon/Cantillion beer, which you get from this kit, assuming you ferment the cherry puree dry. (Posted on 9/23/11)

edit: I see that NB's all grain instructions state you can primary for up to 12 months, and secondary for up to 12 months. Not sure why extract instructions would differ.

I plan on brewing this recipe in the near future as my first attempt @ sour.

I will do more then a year on mine, not what NB recommends. NB gives you lowball time frames for their time schedule for a lot of their recipes They say 1-2 weeks primary, 1 month secondary for IPA I am doing right now I do 3 weeks primary, 2 months secondary, 1 month in keg @ room temp + sugar, few weeks of cold conditioning in kegerator.

More time is almost always better for your beer.

Latest posts

Back