Question about the Blichmann False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I just picked up a 10 gallon Boilermaker the other day and was curious as to why Blichmann says not to use the false bottom for boils.

I'm pretty curious. . . It's not that different from the false bottom (perforated SS) that I use in my keggle. . .

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thanks,
Chris

I can't really think of a reason why you couldn't... I use a FB in my 26 gal megapot as a hop/trub filter. However I can see how the slotted design of the Blichmann FB might clog up a lot faster than the holes punched in the FB I am using.

Blichman's website says that their FB disrupts the convection of the boil. This will cause the bottom, below the FB to supper heat and the rest of the wort to be u der heated. I would imagine a heat stick would off set this convection issue.

Hmmm. . . If heat gets trapped under the FB during the boil, wouldn't that also happen in the mash?

Hmmm. . . If heat gets trapped under the FB during the boil, wouldn't that also happen in the mash?

Yes it would if direct firing the MT without circulating the wort somehow either manually or with a pump. I use a FB in my converted keg boil kettle without problems. The FB is the smaller 11" diameter pie plate style FB and not a Blichmann unit.

Back