Yes, Smelly Cidar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ales4Ever

Reaction score
I used the Red Yeast (mono-something or other )to ferment me cidar. I understand the whole Sulfur thing, but man this stuff is pissing off my wife, as it is in the cornor of one of our rooms in the house!

I added about 3 tsps of Wyeast Nutreint to the must, and the hole thing exploded a hissing head, then subsided.

Will this help get that smell out of me cidar? (its been fernemting for 2 days)

Thanks gents!

I'm guessing you used Red Star Montrachet. Smell-wise, I don't think it matters. Mine stunk pretty bad for about the first week and a half, then started to subside. Now I'm going on 3 1/2 weeks and I can barely smell anything coming from it. It's slowed down to bubbling once every minute though, and when I put my nose up to the airlock, it still smells like what it used to but not nearly as strong. My guess is that as the off-gassing slows, obviously, so does the smell. I don't think the yeast nutrient is going to help w/ the smell, only the fermentation. As for the wife part...maybe you can get her drunk every night until the smell subsides so she won't care as much? Try using a commercial hard cider in the style of what you are making so she knows what's in store for her at the end of that long, stinky road...

Using nutrient in my smelly cider cleared the smell within hours!

I'm new to this. I was planning on letting my cider ferment in a closet since it has the most stable temperature here. Is it going to make the entire closet stink?

Interesting... I dropped about .5 teaspoon or so into mine at the beginning "just in case" and it's only ever smelled delicious.

Maybe I just have weird smell buds.

EDIT: Ah, I learn now from reading more on the forums that I did the right thing. The nutrient does, indeed, help with the smell. Well, happy accident.

Wow, mine is really reeking. My whole apartment smells like an egg fart. Is this normal for apfelwein? Should I expect a funky taste if it reeks so bad?

I think it still smells bad even with yeast nutrient, but it does stink horribly without it. I was thinking about putting a flavored liquor in the airlock in the hopes my basement would smell like absolute currant or something like that. My current batch doesn't smell great, but I can only smell it when I hover over the airlock, so that experimentation will wait. Let us know if the nutrient really kills the smell for you.

I've made at least 6+ batches so far. Never a bad smell yet. I've always used nutrients or energizer.

I tend to think its the juice that does it. - Maybe the apples where dusted w/ sulfur.

Red Star® Montrachet (Davis 522), a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, has been derived from the collection of the University of California. This strain has been widely used in the U.S. since 1963. It is a strong fermenter with good ethanol tolerance, and will readily ferment grape musts and fruit juices to dryness. This strain also has good tolerance to free sulfur dioxide. This strain is recommended for full bodied reds and whites. It is not recommended for grapes that have recently been dusted with sulfur, because of a tendency to produce hydrogen sulfide in the presence of higher concentrations of sulfur compounds. Montrachet is noted for low volatile acidity, good flavor complexity, and intense color.​

Taken from this website: http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1030

:mug:

I actually used fermax yeast nutrient when I started this batch.

So, is this smell any indication of how it's going to taste?

Benny Blanco said:
I actually used fermax yeast nutrient when I started this batch.

So, is this smell any indication of how it's going to taste?

From everything I've read the smell will dissapate. The flavor should be light apple and wine-like. I've stayed on top of the AW thread for a year, only one person has had problems with the smell staying in their AW. I believed they used Lavlin 1118 and had cloudy cider.

Don't spaz when you read this! Most people don't have this problem. The smell fades long before the fermentation is done. I perused this again, the rotten egg smell is from two sources; sulfur in juice and lack of nutrients.

There's 99% chance you won't have to do a thing. If its got that funk at bottling here's something that will help. BTW - AW gets better w/ age. Don't be too critical at bottling/kegging time.

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrogen_sulfide.htm

Merry Christmas - :mug:

Back