Brining your turkeys, or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
People on this side of the pond already getting festive? I can usually count on a little more activity around here to get me through the clock-watching phase of my workday. I still have to get in at least half a day tomorrow!

We're brining ours tonight. Probably making the pies tonight or tomorrow, too.

I haven't decided whether I'm even going to bother coming in to work tomorrow. The only thing that might make me drive up to the triangle is my MIL.

-walker

We have to drive up to Virginny tomorrow night for Thanksgiving at my late grandmother's house (don't ask, it's a Dad/homestead thing). I was going to change the oil and brakepads on the car tonight, but apparently we have some friends coming to spend the night on their way to Charleston, so I'm coming in for a half day tomorrow and then taking care of that in the pm. Mom's taking care of the turkey so it's a 29 cent/lb Food Lion special and a can of cranberry sauce for us. I'll make up for it at Christmas.

My wife went to Fresh Market to pick up our bird yesterday. She had asked for it to be quartered, and they said, "No problem, ma'am".

When she got there to pick up the bird, they had definately quartered it, but not in a proper butcher way. They had literally chopped the bird in 4 pieces, right through the center of the back (onec cut across, one cut lengthwise). The back two quarters had a half a breast in addition to the leg/thigh!

Then she had to argue with them for 15 minutes to get a new bird and have it properly cut up.

She was pretty pissed off.

-walker

I'll tell you one thing, I ordered a turkey from Whole Foods last year for Christmas and it was the best bird I've ever had (I didn't try to get it butchered, however). Of course, it wasn't $0.29/lb, but for once or twice a year it's worth it if it actually tastes like a turkey.

yeah, we always got our turkey in CA from Whole Foods. I don't know what prompted my wife to shop elsewhere this year, because WF's turkey is really REALLY good.

-walker

Guys, please elaborate on this brining. I've never heard of that.

I've roasted a turkey every single year for the past 10 years and I've never done that, I'm pretty sure.

Brining is something you do to flavor a large piece of meat or bird for long slow cooking. It keeps it from drying out and helps to keep it moist to the end.

Have you ever seen the Cajun injector. http://www.thewhitewhale.com/cajun_injector.htm All it does is inject the brine into the bird but you can soak one over night and get the same effect.

Flavors you add to your brine are up to you.

I use a basic brine for smokeing any meat. Ribs, brisket, turkey, fresh ham, even fish.

1 gal water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 T granulated garlic
2 T Onion powder
1 tsp Ground Cayene
2 bay leaves

Anything I smoke, I soak in this solution over night, Let the surface air dry before cooking.

On a turkey, I would probably leave out the cayene and add some poultry seasoning.

Took me a minute to figure out what you were all talking about, then I remembered you yanks have thanksgiving late. We had ours a month ago. All this talk of turkeys IS making me hungry.. Well at least only a month or so to go for Christmas turkey!

ORRELSE said:
Guys, please elaborate on this brining. I've never heard of that.

I've roasted a turkey every single year for the past 10 years and I've never done that, I'm pretty sure.
You soak the thawed turkey in flavored salt water for 24 to 48 hours before cooking. The flavored saltwater infuses into the turkey, allowing it to be cooked to proper temperatures without drying out. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a recipe...it's definately the best turkey you'll ever have.

Edit: You might try to catch Alton Brown today...it's his method, and I would imagine they're showing all the turkey cooking shows on Food Network today.

BeeGee said:
Does anybody like Mexican food? I've got an ace recipe for turkey chilaquiles for the morning after.
Does the pope drink beer? :D

I'll trade you my smoked turkey hash recipe for your turkey chilaquiles. :D

Scale it depending on what you've got left, but this seems to work for 4-6 people depending on how heavy you went at it the day before:

1lb corn tortillas, cut into 1/2" strips (scissors work well)
1 chopped onion
1 can chicken broth
4c shredded turkey meat
2-3c salsa verde/roasted tomatillo salsa (I use store bought for time)
1c shredded monterrey jack
1/4c sour cream + 1.5Tbsp milk or Mexican cream
1/2c or so cilantro
queso fresco for sprinkling

1. Fry up the tortilla strips until crispy, like making chips, drain on paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 375F, cook onion in a casserole or paella pan or other oven safe vessel in a bit of oil.
3. Add broth and turkey to onion, simmer for 15 minutes or so, until liquid is down to a 1/2c or so.
4. Add your salsa and bring to a boil to get everything blended, remove from heat and stir in monterrey jack and tortilla strips.
5. Bake uncovered until bubbly, ~15 minutes.
6. Mix sour cream/milk (or use Mexican cream) and pour over top of chilaquiles, and sprinkle with cilantro and crumbled queso fresco.

Man, I love chilaquiles. Can't wait till Christmas when we go visit the outlaws in Mexico...there's a restaurant dedicated to chilaquiles...rojas, verdes, mole, you name it. But this recipe is one of the best I've tried.

BeeGee said:
Does anybody like Mexican food? I've got an ace recipe for turkey chilaquiles for the morning after.

Thanks for the recipe, BeeGee!

I always make a bunch of tamales a few days after Thanksgiving with the left over dark meat. Mmmmmmm.... tamales.

-walker

El Pistolero said:
It's coming...my fingers are slow this morning.

Does your wife make Carne Adovada?
Not exactly...I think that's more of a New Mexico thing, but I'm not sure. I guess it was all Mexico at one point! She makes something very similar, though, called tinga which replaces the red chiles in adovada with chipotles. It's meant to be a dish, but I love to eat it like a dip on chips with some queso fresco.

Hot Smoked Turkey-Cilantro Hash
(modified from Sublime Smoke - Jamison & Jamison)

2 - 4 cups chopped smoked turkey leftovers

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large russet potatoe, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can chopped green chilis
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro

Warm the oil and butter together in a heavy skillet. Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, bell pepper, and green chili, and saute until the potatoes begin to soften. Mix in the stock, cream, mustard, ketchup, and pepper, and simmer covered for 10 minutes.

Stir in the turkey and salt to taste, then pad the mixture down in the pan. Recover and heat a few minutes, then uncover, turn the heat to high, and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed and the bottom begins to form a crust. Scrape the hash as it continues to brown, and stir and pat back down to brown more of the surface. Stir in the cilantro and heat thru. Serve hot.

Right on...that looks awesome. It would be perfect for the day after a hard session, or just before one! I'll definitely give it a try. Looks like the type of dish that might be good with a fried egg on top.

BeeGee said:
Right on...that looks awesome. It would be perfect for the day after a hard session, or just before one! I'll definitely give it a try. Looks like the type of dish that might be good with a fried egg on top.
Now you've got me hungry...think I'm gonna go make a chili omelet. :cool:

Well, I'm turning this thing off, heading to Carolina Brewing Co. to pick up some Old 392 Barleywine (in commemoration of state bill 392 which permits up to 15%abv in NC), changing the oil and brake pads on the car and then we're heading out. No cable, no internet, but I'll be well stocked.

Everybody have a safe and fun Thanksgiving. Stay off the roads if you can, but if you have to drive, keep it between the ditches!

I brine sausage in Coors (regular not lite) and salt. Makes for a nice crunchy skin on the barbie. Haven't tried a turkey. I'm going to an Oregon Mensa Orphans dinner tomorrow. I'll take some sausage dressing and blackberry cider. I'm tempted to use some IPA in the dressing.

Well...never "brined" the turkey per se, but it did turn out to be the best I've done so far. The roasted one was pretty damn juicy. The fried one had great flavor but drier than I wanted. It is only my second fried turkey so I have some practicing to do. I know for sure next year I'm going to fry turkey though, AND go to someone else's house too. :D That was a long morning of cooking and getting ready for a pretty large crowd.

Best turkey day on record though--after we ate (about 3 PM) we did a quick cleanup and then sat down for some cards. It went from a friendly family game of "Oh Hell" to a hard core game of "presidents and *******". Much beer was consumed and many laughs were had. And the hangover wasn't as bad as expected. ;)

I was wondering when this was going to be mentioned.

This year, me and the Mrs. are hosting T-day. MY turn to make the turkey! I want to grill it, but I can't decide whether to go charcoal (flavor) or gas (even heat distribution). I'm going to be brining it, that's FO SHIZZO!

Anyone have any good T-day recipes for turkey, stuffing, sides, etc?

I don't remember the recipe exactly, but I *loved* the stuffing I made last year. Onion, garlic, celery, I think a little carrot, and BACON. Bacon and turkey go together wonderfully. Hell, bacon goes together with ANYTHING.

This is the turkey recipe I've been using for a few years now.
The gravy is outstanding.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/803

Paste
3 large heads garlic

3 large dried ancho chilies, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, torn into pieces
1/2 cup corn oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon honey

Turkey
1 17-to 18-pound turkey, neck and giblets reserved

2 tablespoons corn oil
1 1/2 pounds turkey neck or wings, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

Gravy
2 cups (about) canned low-salt chicken broth

6 tablespoons all purpose flour
Cayenne pepper

For paste:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Separate heads of garlic into individual cloves (do not peel). Pierce each clove once with toothpick. Scatter garlic on baking sheet; roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Peel garlic, cutting hard tip off each clove. Pack enough garlic into 1/2-cup measuring cup to fill (about 40 cloves); reserve any remaining garlic. Blend 1/2 cup garlic in processor to form course puree.
Meanwhile, place chilies in small saucepan. Add enough water just to cover. Simmer over medium-low heat until chilies are soft and most of water evaporates, about 15 minutes. Add chili mixture, oil, cumin, and honey to garlic in processor. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover paste and garlic; chill.)

For turkey:
Pat turkey dry. Season with salt and pepper. Slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen skin. Spread 1/2 cup garlic-paste over breast under skin. If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing into main cavity. Rub 2 tablespoons paste all over outside of turkey. Reserve remaining paste for gravy. Tie legs together loosely to hold shape of turkey. Place on rack set in roasting pan. (Can be done 1 day ahead if turkey is not stuffed. Chill turkey and paste separately.)

Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 325°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add neck and giblets, turkey neck pieces and onion; sauté brown, about 15 minutes. Place contents of skillet around turkey in pan. Add celery, tomato, allspice and any reserved garlic to pan; pour in 2 cups broth. Roast turkey 1 hour 30 minutes. Tent turkey and entire pan loosely with heavy-duty foil. Continue to roast turkey until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F. or until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with skewer, basting often with pan juices and 3 cups broth, about 1 hour 40 minutes longer for unstuffed turkey (about 2 hours 25 minutes longer for stuffed turkey). Place turkey on platter. Tent with foil; let stand at least 30 minutes. Reserve mixture in pan for gravy.

For gravy:
Using tongs, remove turkey parts from pan; discard. Pour mixture in pan into sieve set over large bowl. Press on solids in sieve to release liquid. Spoon fat from pan juices; add enough broth to juices to measure 6 cups.

Stir 1/2 cup reserved garlic-chili paste in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until liquefied. Add flour and stir 1 minute (mixture will be very thick). Gradually add 6 cups broth mixture, whisking until smooth. Simmer until reduced to 4 1/2 cups, about 20 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper.

Serve turkey with gravy.

Serves 14.
Bon Appétit
November 1994

That recipe sounds AWESOME, but my parents are sensitive to hot foods so I'll have to make this some time for me and the Mrs.

Cheesefood said:
That recipe sounds AWESOME, but my parents are sensitive to hot foods so I'll have to make this some time for me and the Mrs.

It's not as spicy as you might think. More Garlicy.

Make the paste and see. You can split your gravy and use it that.

Back