Belgian Tripel IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
The sample pulled from the primary of my Belgian Tripel that I based on a Golden Monkey Clone is a little more bitter than anticipated. I added 3oz Horizon Pellets at 60 mins in 11 gallon batch, 1.080 OG 1.010 FG. I'm thinking of now making this a Tripel IPA by dry hopping. I used 3oz French Strisselspalt pellets at 10 mins for flavor. I also added corriander, grains of paradise and bitter orange peel. Here are the questions - Can I turn this into a Tripel IPA? If so, what hop and how much? Or, RDWHAHB?

RDWHAHB.

In my experience Belgian style beers need a longer time to condition than my other beers, so some of your hop flavor will subside in that time. You're best bet I think is to let it condition for awhile longer than you'd normally and then bottle; that's just my opinion

Leave it. Hop bitterness mellows big time. Anyway, of it's a Tripel you shouldn't even be thinking about drinking it till the middle of summer.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the new Belgian IPA trend, and the bitterness will drop out, though that does seem like a lot of bittering hops. Let it age, taste it, then make a decision, otherwise you don't learn anything by making a change on the fly.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of the new Belgian IPA trend, and the bitterness will drop out, though that does seem like a lot of bittering hops. Let it age, taste it, then make a decision, otherwise you don't learn anything by making a change on the fly.

I know many don't like Belgian IPA but HOUBLON CHOUFFE Dobbelen IPA Tripel and Piraat Ale are some of my favorites, as well as Golden Monkey and La Fin Du Monde. If my Golden Monkey went awry and I can turn into a Tripel IPA then none the loss.

I know many don't like Belgian IPA but HOUBLON CHOUFFE Dobbelen IPA Tripel and Piraat Ale are some of my favorites, as well as Golden Monkey and La Fin Du Monde. If my Golden Monkey went awry and I can turn into a Tripel IPA then none the loss.

I also made this into a split batch using Wyeast Belgian Abbey and Wyeast Belgian Ardennes in case anyone is interested in the difference between the two yeasts.

Hopefully this will be ready by Father's Day. I'm also on a pizza making forum and I'd like to serve this beer with my home made New Haven Style Pizza.

Back