4 Liter Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvaughan06

Reaction score
hey guys, a couple months back i made an Arrogant Bastard clone that had an OG of 1.080, and i used two smack packs with it because it was over 1.060. Turned out great, ended up with about 1.017 FG. Mighty tasty. Now my question is, i was thinking about making a starter so i didn't have to buy 2 smackpacks. Checking out Mr Malty's calculator it says with .080 OG i would need a 4.06 liter starter if using one smack pack. I guess what i am asking is if you think it'd be easier to just use the 2 smack packs again? Or mess with this 4 liter starter?

BTW, i've never made a starter yet. just the smackpacks, so this is all new to me. 4 liters seemed like a lot.

4 liters is a lot, but you need a lot of yeast for a .080 grav beer. It's kind of up to you whether to make a starter or buy two packs. Personally, I think $16 worth of yeast for one batch of beer is rediculously expensive. Well worth the time to make a starter.

yeah, i might just go with the 2 packs again because i am crunched on time. i'd like it to be ready for my daughters birthday (5/5/5). so i cant really spare the extra couple days for the starter.

how would adding the 4 liters of starter effect the overall taste? would it change it at all?

Do you have a 5L flask already? If not, then you might want to make two starters. Sure, it will take a few days extra, but you'll actually get more yeast out of it than one large starter.

Starters are best, IMO, made on stir plates. You can get it to finish in about 24 hours. All of my starters (up to 3L so far) have been complete within 24 hours of turning on the stir plate. I would make one, cold crash it about 24 hours, decant the spent wort and pour fresh starter wort on top of the yeast cake in the starter. Get it stirring again and cold crash it when finished (18-24 hours is a good beginning time frame) so that you can decant the spent wort and just pitch the yeast slurry.

I would never pitch an entire starter into a batch. Far better, IMO/IME, to plan a little bit ahead and pitch just the yeast slurry (you'll leave a small amount of the spent starter wort in the flask in order to get the yeast fluid enough to pour)...

Looking at the Mr. Malty site, if you were going with either a simple starter, or one with intermittent shaking, then going with a stirplate method will mean a MUCH smaller starter. Depending on how fresh your yeast is, probably in the area of a 2L starter (depends also on the actual amount of wort going into primary). Use the fermenting volume for the calculations, not your finished/into bottles volume.

BTW, are you kegging or still bottling? If you keg it, you can assume 2 weeks to carbonate, not 3+ weeks from bottle carbonating. Which means, if you brew it next weekend, you can leave it in primary for a month, keg, chill, carbonate, and have it ready (on tap) by 5/5. You could even go 5 weeks in primary, keg it and it should be fully carbonated (and chilled) by 5/5. Just something to think about.

Do you have a 5L flask already? If not, then you might want to make two starters. Sure, it will take a few days extra, but you'll actually get more yeast out of it than one large starter.

Starters are best, IMO, made on stir plates. You can get it to finish in about 24 hours. All of my starters (up to 3L so far) have been complete within 24 hours of turning on the stir plate. I would make one, cold crash it about 24 hours, decant the spent wort and pour fresh starter wort on top of the yeast cake in the starter. Get it stirring again and cold crash it when finished (18-24 hours is a good beginning time frame) so that you can decant the spent wort and just pitch the yeast slurry.

I would never pitch an entire starter into a batch. Far better, IMO/IME, to plan a little bit ahead and pitch just the yeast slurry (you'll leave a small amount of the spent starter wort in the flask in order to get the yeast fluid enough to pour)...

Looking at the Mr. Malty site, if you were going with either a simple starter, or one with intermittent shaking, then going with a stirplate method will mean a MUCH smaller starter. Depending on how fresh your yeast is, probably in the area of a 2L starter (depends also on the actual amount of wort going into primary). Use the fermenting volume for the calculations, not your finished/into bottles volume.

BTW, are you kegging or still bottling? If you keg it, you can assume 2 weeks to carbonate, not 3+ weeks from bottle carbonating. Which means, if you brew it next weekend, you can leave it in primary for a month, keg, chill, carbonate, and have it ready (on tap) by 5/5. You could even go 5 weeks in primary, keg it and it should be fully carbonated (and chilled) by 5/5. Just something to think about.

thanks for the in depth reply. I'm still adding to my equipment, and i don't have anything as of starter equipment goes. no flask, stir plate, etc. if i were to get a flask though without a stir plate is does say its only 2.38 liters with the intermediate shaking like you mentioned. which seems way more feasible than 4 liters. i might go ahead and give it a shot, since i'll need this stuff at some point down the road. it'd probably be in my best interest to move into washing the yeast and re-using it as well.

right now i'm still bottling. have a mini fridge waiting to be converted into a kegerator, but i need the $ for the equipment first. i'm tired of bottling, thats for sure. i also plan on moving to AG soon too, not this batch, but within the next couple months for sure. i have a full sanke keg that also awaits conversion to a brew kettle. i'm just kinda nervous switching to AG. i'm still a little noobie when it comes to all of this.

i've done 6 brews so far within the last 10 months, and i keep getting better with each one. i'm just taking baby steps at it, as long as i have the funds to keep improving.

When you do the calc on Mr. Malty - it offers a chance to change the way you do the starter. With a simple starter - yeah over 4L but choosing "stir plate" - that drops it to 1.73 L

Might be much more doable for you.

(I've not done starters with mine but will - just learning myself)

Latest posts

Back