"The" How-to for Making Belgian Candi Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedclev

Reaction score
Okay... so I really enjoy using candi sugar, but hate paying the $5 per pound. Furthermore, the rock candi that is sold as Belgian candi sugar is not the same as what the belgians use, which is a syrup (invert sugar). I wanted to start making my own (and apparently there are a lot of people on HBT that want to also), but could never find anything really specific, just vague directions about heating sugar with water and paying attn to how dark it gets, etc. Finally, I found a real guide with thorough instructions, temperatures, flavors produced, etc. Last night I made two pounds of dark amber, and it worked super well. While I wouldn't bother inverting sugar if you only need clear candi sugar (since you can literally just add plain table sugar towards the end of the boil and the acidic wort will invert it), it is well worth it if u need the specific colors and flavors.

This guide gives single stage directions, as well as double stage directions. However, the chart for double stage is only filled in for dark amber. When I printed my copy off, I went ahead and filled in temps and quantities for the other color syrups; just pay attention to the tsp quantities of DAP if you decide to do the same. Also, the guide suggests "flame out" at 240 F, but at that point sugar is at the fudging stage and you'll end up with a much thicker, more difficult syrup, so flame out at 230 and you'll be fine. And definitely get a candy thermometer from a kitchen store (or at least a digital thermometer with instant read, but those cost three times as much...). Also, don't bother pouring it into a pan with wax paper; just put it in sterile mason jars- 1lb sugar syrup is just under 1 pint...

Click on the following link and scroll down to May 27, 2009 and click to download Dan Dorst's "Sugar Guidelines" in pdf format. I hope that this helps, and happy brewing! http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=video

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

This is the thread that was the source for the pdf you linked to. The thread-starter got interviewed by James Spencer, and the rest is history....

There's a lot more info and description in the thread, people's experiences, etc. I make a syrup that's brought up through the maillard stage thrice - to 290, 280, 280, then quenched down to a bit below soft ball. I find this gives great results.

Latest posts

Back