beer - possibly vinegar... safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timekiller

Reaction score
Ok, so a few months ago I brewed a Hefe Wizen. Long story short, I left 1/2 to 1 gal of one step in the bottom of the fermenter when I poured in the wort. I realized and piched the yeast. Racked to corny, and put enough gas to seal (as I thought). Ran out of gas and couldnt reseal.

The beer smelled like vinegar, and had flies/larva around the top of the keg. I now realize I may have made vinegar,

so... Is this stuff save to drink? Can I pasturize it? I don't know what Im going to do with 5 gal of vinegar, but Id rather do that than dump.

Ok, so a few months ago I brewed a Hefe Wizen. Long story short, I left 1/2 to 1 gal of one step in the bottom of the fermenter when I poured in the wort. I realized and piched the yeast. Racked to corny, and put enough gas to seal (as I thought). Ran out of gas and couldnt reseal.

The beer smelled like vinegar, and had flies/larva around the top of the keg. I now realize I may have made vinegar,

so... Is this stuff save to drink? Can I pasturize it? I don't know what Im going to do with 5 gal of vinegar, but Id rather do that than dump.

Is the One-Step still in there? For clarification please. If so, would this be safe to drink since it is so much of the total "beer"?

Is the One-Step still in there? For clarification please. If so, would this be safe to drink since it is so much of the total "beer"?

Yes, the 1/2-1 gal of one step is in there. This is one of the reasons I don't know if its safe. I would assume so, since the yeast lived through it.

Yes, the 1/2-1 gal of one step is in there. This is one of the reasons I don't know if its safe. I would assume so, since the yeast lived through it.

One step is sodium percarbonate, which breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide reacts with stuff to break down into water and oxygen. The sodium carbonate is a typical food additive, and binds to minerals in water and stuff.

Basically, it's safe. It's oxiclean.

I tasted the "brew" last night. It's def. not vinegar. Honestly I don't know what it is. Smells like wine, taste like a combo of wine and beer. Also, there was a LOT of sediment in the bottom of the keg, ad a good layer of tan krausen sitting on top. Very small bubbles, could possibly have been mold, but it was not fuzzy and was uniform in color.

What did I make??? Is it just spoiled beer?

And in all honesty it really doesn't taste too bad, I think Ill carb it and see how it taste then.

if it were truly spoiled you wouldn't be able to stand drinking it.

you just made 'funky' beer..i'm sure the one step caused problems. Don't hold me to it, but I think hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer, and if so it was probably making your beer stale AS it fermented. Hard to say.

FWIW if it had been Star-san, you probably would not have noticed it.

The flies and larva around the keg...that's just gross. You must not have cleaned the top of the keg well, leaving enough sugary beer to attract flies so they'd lay eggs. Keep that stuff cleaner.

if it were truly spoiled you wouldn't be able to stand drinking it.

you just made 'funky' beer..i'm sure the one step caused problems. Don't hold me to it, but I think hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer, and if so it was probably making your beer stale AS it fermented. Hard to say.

FWIW if it had been Star-san, you probably would not have noticed it.

The flies and larva around the keg...that's just gross. You must not have cleaned the top of the keg well, leaving enough sugary beer to attract flies so they'd lay eggs. Keep that stuff cleaner.

I would say I would switch to star-san, (mabye after im out of one-step) but this is something I will now be a bit more careful of. As far as the flies, yup it's nasty.. Usually I give the whole outside of the keg a 'one over' after I put the gas on.

Latest posts

Back