Wyeast Smack Pack Exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tevbax82

Reaction score
Was making a batch of cream ale this morning. Went through the normal proceedure.... pull yeast from fridge, smack it, and give a shake. So, I let it expand as usual, no concerns. Then, I went to put it into my sani solution. I put the pack in the water, all of a sudden we have a stream of yeast spraying everywhere. Looks like the pack seperated right on the seam on the bottom where it pinches out when expanded.

Just a note: take a look at the bottom seam before you leave your yeast unattended. That could have been a disaster.

Wow, must have been a defective package. Those things are usually sealed super well and are made of incredibly tough material. I had one swell so much, at one point, that it felt about as compressible as concrete. I was worried, but it didn't rupture at all.

I hope you had more yeast on hand!

i had one i didn't even get to smack yet just start seeping out the bottom while in the fridge, right through the bottom seam like your pack...

I smacked one so hard on accident that it popped everywhere. Lol and I had to go up to the LHBS and pick up another.

Back