Tried a triple decoction on Saturday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to MoreBeer a week ago during their 15% off sale and picked up a sack of Weyermann Vienna malt. Since SWMBO was out of the house on Saturday, I decided to do something with it. The resultant brain child (or brain fart, slightly more appropriate) was to do a Vienna/Hersbrucker SMaSH using triple decoction for the first time.

I can now see why people don't bother with decoction... six hours into it and my brew kettle was still waiting patiently to be put into use. All in all, a worthwhile experiment, and something I'd do again, but it was a very long day; my typical all-grain brew day is about six hours, and this took me about 10+.

On the positive side:

The wort was clear as a bell
There seemed to be a more malty flavor to the beer
My efficiency was about 85% (typical infusion is about 75%).

I guess I'll have to do an infusion mash with the same grain bill to see how much it differs.

I use a single decoction as of late. Way too much time and propane.

Lots of fun though.

I've done it twice now. It's definitely a long process, but I find that it does result in a maltier flavor and a thicker mouthfeel than a single infusion mash. Also, I have very high pH water, so the acid rest helps correct the pH of the mash without having to add acids or pH buffer.

I've done it twice now. It's definitely a long process, but I find that it does result in a maltier flavor and a thicker mouthfeel than a single infusion mash. Also, I have very high pH water, so the acid rest helps correct the pH of the mash without having to add acids or pH buffer.

Yep, that's exactly why I did the triple decoction instead of the double. I figured having a little help in the acidification department wouldn't be bad. My typical pH for an ESB or US-style pale ale is around 5.5. Unfortunately, I forgot to measure my pH for most steps, as I was trying to figure out WTF I was supposed to be doing next...

Latest posts

Back