All Grain Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,
I've successfully completed 2 all grain batchs and have a few questions associated with sparging.

Sparging:
I have converted a 75Qt cooler to my mashing unit. It maintains the temp very well and at the end of the mash I typically drain directly into my boil pot as fast as the 1/2" valve will flow. Once I get it pretty much drained I close the valve and then add the sparge water. I let it sit for a moment and then drain completely.

Sparging Questions:
Should I "sprinkle" the sparge water over the grain bed or is my practice above OK?
Should I recycle the sparge water over a few times into the grain bed?
Is "sprinkling", say from a small plant watering can, a good way to sparge?

You're practicing a batch sparge, but suggesting ways to quasi fly sparge.

Let's back up a sec. In this 75qt cooler, what kind of device is installed to separate the grain from wort?

When you've added the sparge water, you did stir it in completely right?

Click the link in my sig that says "all grain primer".

Bobby, great website! Loved the reference. That pretty much answered my questions.

I am using the 75qt with a stainless braided sheath from a bathroom water line. (exactly like the one on your webpage).

Yeah, previously I was mashing for the 60 min then opening up the outflow from the cooler into my boil pot slowly, at say and estimated 2 gal per 5 min, and then coming from my HLT into the cooler with a line and trying to keep a constant 1/2" of water on top of the grain bed. It didn't work too well. I'd end up with a 1.046 max on a targeted 1.060

So to answer your questions. Nope I didn't stir before, I had thought that stiring was a no no, other than to ensure you don't have dough balls. That if you stirred the grains it would distrupt the filtration that the bed would provide and you'd end up with much more sediment. Your concept of vorlauf removes concern for that.

I hope to build my tiered system this next week and look forward to futher exploring your site.

Back