Keeping a full keg outside in winter to stay cold???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
So i'v got a few batches in secondaries waiting to be kegged and i'm hoping to take home some kegs for the family over christmas. Would you keep a keg outside in the winter to keep it cold? I'm not so worried about the temperature changes, as i could keep it shaded at a fairly constant temp throughout the day. My main concern is rust.

Will keeping the keg outside for a moderate length of time (week or so) bring rust? Is it something i should be concerned with?

Yuri_Rage said:
No, kegs are stainless.

Thats what i thought, but i know of some that did have rust on them. I assume that rust didn't come very easily?

Chello said:
Thats what i thought, but i know of some that did have rust on them. I assume that rust didn't come very easily?
It's probably from contact with ferrous metals (like the side of a truck bed). The stainless itself probably isn't rusting, it just has rust on it.

Don't forget that a frozen keg can split. Since it will freeze from the top down and outside to inside, the pressure relief valve doesn't help.

Split kegs suck worse than frozen beer.
an unheated garage would work better, or a crawlspace/basement.

I use this technique often in the winter months. Mostly to cool from room temperature before the kegerator. It saves money and has less environmental impact. Woo hoo!!

Just had 10 gallons that my brother and I had made to get rdy for Thanksgiving. We kept them outside for a day until the lines froze and wouldn't supply us with anymore beer till bringing them in to thaw enough to work again. That was the longest damn 20 mins of the gathering.

Back