Pilsner Urquell Homebrew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, they posted it on BA yesterday as well. It's only open to the first 50 in each city..

Also, think about what you're getting into by making a Czech Pils.

Sent my name in, we'll see if I made the 50 person cut for NYC...

I guess I had better brew a Czech Pilsner this weekend so it will be ready by August....

Just got my reply from Pilsner Urquel USA, I'm in.

I guess I had better do this one right. I'm wondering if I should use a bottled water source instead of my filtered Jersey water. Any thoughts?

I figure I'll use sodbuster's decoction instructions. Luckily, I have about 35lbs of pilsen left so I can do a few batches and submit the best. It's not like it won't get consumed :)

Mischief: I see your in Sayreville, do you know where your water comes from and the stats? I'm in South Jersey, and my water comes from the Potomac Raritan Aquifer and is really soft and close to pilsen water profile. I just brewed a czech pilsner that came out very well, and I'm looking at this contest as well.

I submitted my name but when they replied I realized you have to actually go to one of the cities to enter. Guess I won't be entering

Much to my surprise, I received confirmation for a spot in NY.

This should be a fun research project - now the recipe formulation begins...

So how do you guys think this one will be judged. I'm guessing BJCP rules are out the door with the exception of determining off flavors. I mean this:

* 70% -- Accuracy to style (Czech-style pilsner)
* 15% -- Cleanliness (absence of off flavors)
* 15% -- Artistic impression

doesn't provide much to go on. If I'm accurate to style and have a clean beer, I could get 85% of the way there. If I give it some of my artistic impression, wouldn't that lessen my accuracy to style?

I figured I have the time to make two attempts at a contest worthy pilsner for this. The first will be a straight forward czech pilsner, triple decocted with only pilsen and Saaz. The second will be the "artistic" brew that I'm still working out.

I'm thinking the 70% score will be part of the process, ingredients used, as well as color, scent and clearity.

I'm in for Chicago. They should use the BJCP method for judging the beer. Apparently, the judges will be arbitrarily selected by the organizers. Might have a shot at it with only 50 total entries. We shall see. Must be present to win kind of sucks.

This sucks. I just read the rules and because my brother works for MillerCoors I'm not eligible. Boo.

I just went to the Facebook site (for the first time ever) and I can't find anything. Looks like you have to be a member to even read about this and I'm not joining FB just to read the rules.

Is it 50 entries per city, so 150 entries total?
Do you actually have to go to the city in which you enter?

I entered it in DC (although I haven't heard back yet...). I'd been meaning to brew another Czech Pils since the last one ended up as an ale. I got my hands on some Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner malt, plenty of Saaz, and I'll be making a big starter of 2001 (Urquell Lager). Hopefully brewing in a month to give it three months to ferment/lager/carb before the competition.

I just went to the Facebook site (for the first time ever) and I can't find anything. Looks like you have to be a member to even read about this and I'm not joining FB just to read the rules.

Is it 50 entries per city, so 150 entries total?
Do you actually have to go to the city in which you enter?

Yes 50 per city, 150 total. Unfortunately you do have to go to the city you entered, so my spot I reserved for Chicago will be opening up when they void my entry. Flying to Chicago for a 1/50 chance of winning isn't worth it to me.

Keep in mind that the value of the grand prize is $8,000 and the tax man will get you for his cut. Might be cheaper just to pay your own way to Plzen. This looks less appealing all the time.

Yes 50 per city, 150 total. Unfortunately you do have to go to the city you entered, so my spot I reserved for Chicago will be opening up when they void my entry. Flying to Chicago for a 1/50 chance of winning isn't worth it to me.
Thanks for clarifying. I've never been to any of those cities and have always wanted to go to NY and DC, so I was willing to let this be my excuse for going. Weird that I'm willing to do that but won't join FB just to read the rules.:drunk:

Thanks for clarifying. I've never been to any of those cities and have always wanted to go to NY and DC, so I was willing to let this be my excuse for going. Weird that I'm willing to do that but won't join FB just to read the rules.:drunk:

I received a reply back to my email cancelling my entry. Maybe next year they will change the rules

Sorry to hear you won't be able to participate, but thank you for the update. The rules likely won't change for this year's competition, but there's always next year! Thanks for your interest and keep enjoying Pilsner Urquell.

I just received another email from the person that's handling the Chicago comp. They said that they're using the BJCP guidelines.

I sent a gmail to the address given, entered and asked for the rules, and this was the response:

Hi SpanishCastleAle,

On behalf of Pilsner Urquell, I want to thank you for participating in the first-ever Master Home Brewer Contest! We're very much looking forward to your interpretation of the Czech-style pilsner.

As you begin to brew, here are a few reminders about the process. To be eligible for the Grand Prize trip to Prague, you must be present at the judging event on August 8 in NYC. Please bring three 10-14-ounce bottles of your home brew. The judges will sample each beer and select the winner based on the following criteria:
• 70% -- Accuracy to style (Czech-style pilsner)
• 15% -- Cleanliness (absence of off flavors)
• 15% -- Artistic impression
Along the way, I'll be your resource for any questions that might arise. I'll be in touch with more details as we get closer to the event in August, but please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

Best of luck to you, and happy brewing!

Lauren Young
RF|Binder on behalf of Pilsner Urquell
[email protected]
212-994-7592

Rules in next post.

Part I of the the R&R (from same e-mail as above):
PILSNER URQUELL HOME BREW COMPETITION OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Pilsner Urquell Home Brew competition (“Contest”) is open only to non-professional home brewers who are legal residents of the United States (except CA), who are 21 years of age or older. Employees, directors, officers, and agents of Pilsner Urquell/MillerCoors LLC (“Sponsor”), its parent companies, divisions, dealers, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, advertising and promotional agencies, and suppliers involved in the Contest, as well as the members of each of their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and in-laws) and persons residing in the same household of as such individuals are not eligible to enter or win. Employees of alcohol beverage retailers and distributors are also not eligible to enter or win. Void in CA and where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Registration for the contest begins on or about on 04/04/11 and runs through the competition dates, until space permits:
1. To reserve one of the fifty (50) spots, email your complete name, phone number and date of birth to [email protected]. Once email is received, you will receive a confirmation, including judging location. Contest is limited to the first fifty (50) competitors registered for each of the three (3) market competitions.
New York, NY – August 8, 2011
Washington, D.C. – August 10, 2011
Chicago, IL – August 12, 2011
Start brewing your best Czech-style pilsener brew. Bring three (3) bottles of entry brew to designated locations.
“Entrant”: Each person who enters the contest is deemed an “Entrant.” Entrants may be referred to as “Entrants” or “you.” The Entrant is the individual whose name appears on the Entry form. The Entrant is the only person eligible to receive any prize in respect to the Entry. Only one (1) Entrant’s name may appear on an Entry form.
ENTRY INFORMATION:
1. Each Entrant’s must submit an original home brew (“Entry”). Entries must not invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any person, group or organization. Entry must not have been brewed at any place that brews beverages for any commercial purpose, whether for commercial research, production or any other purpose, including brew-on-premise establishments. The judges may disqualify Entries that fail to comply with these Official Rules. The decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and non-appealable in all matters. All eligible Entries that meet the Contest criteria and are deemed eligible for entry by Sponsor are at the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
2. Every bottle must be 10 to 14 ounces in volume, brown or green glass, and be free of raised-glass or inked brand-name lettering and paper labels. Raised “No Deposit” or bottle manufacturing codes (e.g. p m 00 H 4328) are acceptable. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker. Corked bottles meeting the above restrictions are acceptable; however, you must crimp a crown cap over the cork. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified.
4. JUDGING: A jury of Sponsor-designated judges will select the winner from all entries. Jury will judge entrants according to the following criteria displayed in the entry: 70% = accuracy to style (Czech style pilsner), 15% = Cleanliness (absence of off flavors and 15% = Artistic impression. One Grand Prize Winner per market will be announced at the judging competition or the following day. Decisions of the jury and Sponsor representatives shall be binding, final and unappealable.
5. PRIZE, APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: One (1) Grand Prize Winner Per Regional Event (3 Total Grand Prizes): prize includes a 4-day/3-night trip for winner and one (1) adult guest to Prague in October 2011. Prize includes round-trip coach air transportation from commercial airport nearest the winner’s home to Prague, ground transportation to and from airport and hotel in Prague, standard hotel accommodations (one room/double occupancy), access to the Master Bartender Awards. ARV $8,000. Important Notice: Winner and guest must have a passport in order to travel. Winner will be responsible for all gratuities, meals, transportation, lodging and any other incidental costs or expenses not identified in these rules. If an event is delayed, postponed, or canceled for any reason, winners will not be reimbursed. Prize is awarded pursuant to a revocable, nontransferable license that is personal to the winner and may not be sold, resold, auctioned, bartered, assigned, exchanged, placed in commerce, transferred, given away, donated, or otherwise conveyed. A violation of these restrictions shall revoke winner’s license, and the prize will not be honored.
6. WINNER NOTIFICATION/RELEASES: Potential winners are subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. The potential Grand Prize winners will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (except where prohibited) within ten (10) days of attempted notification or prize will be forfeited in its entirety and may be awarded to an alternate winner. Failure to provide all required information and a signature on the documents will result in forfeiture of winner’s right to claim a prize and may be awarded to an alternate winner, if time permits. Grand Prize winner’s guest (who must be of legal drinking age or older) must sign and return a Release of Liability within ten (10) days of winner’s attempted notification. All travelers must possess required travel documents (e.g., valid passport) prior to departure. All travelers must agree to depart and return on dates specified by the Sponsor; dates of departure and return are subject to change. The potential prize winners may be subject to a background check before the prize will be awarded; if a potential winner has been convicted of a felony or any other crime that would reflect negatively on the Sponsor, the potential winner may be disqualified and the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner.
7. PRIZE TERMS: Prizes are not transferable and include only the item(s) specifically listed as part of each prize. No substitution or cash equivalent of prize is permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. If a prize, or any portion thereof, cannot be awarded for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize with another prize of equal or greater value. Any portion of prize not accepted by winner will be forfeited. Federal, state, and local taxes on prize and any expenses relating to the acceptance of and use of prize not specified herein are the responsibility of winners. Sponsor will issue an IRS Form 1099-MISC for each winner whose prize is value at $600 or more. Approximate retail values are as of the time the rules were printed and the value of a prize may fluctuate. A winner is not entitled to any difference between the ARV and the actual value of the prize at the time the prize is awarded.

Part B of the R&R (from same e-mail as above):
8. ADDITIONAL TERMS: Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete or illegible registration. Sponsor is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by entrant or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of the entries. Proof of submission of a registration will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical, technical, or other error in the Contest of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of prizewinners.
Sponsor not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of this offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of prizes. In the event of a printing/production/typographical error or equipment error, the Released Parties shall have any liability. In no event will more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules be awarded. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest or the integrity and/or feasibility of the Contest is severely undermined by any event beyond the control of Sponsor, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, infection by computer virus, unauthorized intervention, technical failures or other cause not reasonably within the control of Sponsor (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest without any further obligation.
If Sponsor, in its discretion, elects to alter this Contest as a result of a Force Majeure event, a notice will be posted at www.Facebook.com/PilsnerUrquellUSA.com. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor will award the prizes in a random drawing from among all valid and eligible registrations received up to the time of such cancellation, providing a sufficient number of entries are received. By participating in this Contest and submitting an entry, each entrant agrees: (i) to be bound by these Official Rules, including all entry requirements; (ii) to hold Sponsor, its representatives, directors, officers, agents, divisions, dealers, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, advertising and promotional agencies, employees and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”), harmless against any and all claims, injuries, damages, losses and liability that may occur, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from the participation in the Contest or from the receipt or use of any prize or any travel or activity related to the receipt or use of any prize; and (iii) that Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Winner, by acceptance of a prize, grants to Sponsor and its designees the right to use winner's name, address (city and state of residence), photograph, voice, statements and/or other likeness and prize information in perpetuity for purposes of advertising and trade in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world, without further compensation, or consideration, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law.
As a condition of participating in this Contest, each entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or the prizes awarded shall be governed by the laws of the State of Colorado without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Jefferson County, Colorado. Further, in such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive; incidental; or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participants actual out of pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. Please see the privacy policy located at www.pilsnerurquell.com for details of Sponsor's policy regarding the use of personal information collected in connection with this Contest.
9. RULES REQUEST: For a copy of the official rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked by 08/15/11 to: Pilsner Urquell Home Brew Competition Rules Request – MLR2445, PO Box 4920R, Wheaton, IL 60189-4920.
10. WINNERS LIST: For the names of the winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope postmarked by 08/15/11 to: Pilsner Urquell Home Brew Competition Winners List – MLR2445, PO Box 4920W, Wheaton, IL 60189-4920.
© 2011 Pilsner Urquell USA, Washington, D.C.

I'm in. My wife's sister lives in NYC so we'll just plan our vacation around this.

I mean, man, 1 in 50 odds. Then you figure a bunch of the really good lager homebrewers won't be able to show up in person so I'm sure some spots will go to those who might not have ever brewed a lager. That would mean the odds are *probably* even better. It will probably come down to luck to have the right beer in front of the right judge.

So I'd have to pay taxes on it. It would still be cheaper and you'd be getting some VIP treatment (brewery tour, bartender comp) that you wouldn't get otherwise.

I just kegged a Czech pils. I'll taste it next week and then come up with 2 more versions to be ready in time. I have a Czech friend to act as a personal taster. She loved last years version.

I aggre pj, 49:1 against for an $8K package with a 'free' entry seems like a decent shot. I've got a Boh Pils that's just waiting for a spot in the keezer to open up and I'll brew at least one more.

I just brewed an Imperial Pils yesterday using Bohemian Lager yeast. If had known about this beforehand...

Prague is a place I've really wanted to visit so I had to at least give it a shot.

Spots are apparently still available in Chicago because I reserved this morning and just got confirmation that I'm in. Unfortunately, I'm not eligible and had to withdraw.

I mean, man, 1 in 50 odds. Then you figure a bunch of the really good lager homebrewers won't be able to show up in person so I'm sure some spots will go to those who might not have ever brewed a lager. That would mean the odds are *probably* even better. It will probably come down to luck to have the right beer in front of the right judge.

Well I just got in for the Chicago contest. I will be one of those who may increase your odds, since I am pretty new to brewing, and have only done ales so far. I am hoping for beginners luck. :p Don't have much time to get many practice batches in!!

I interpreted it as 1 :150 odds, or are they giving a trip away in each city?

"Three winners have the chance to earn trips for two"

Just reread the news release. Looks like it is 1:50 chance. Looks like there will be a lot of entries from HBT. Would be awesome if one or couple people from here won!!

I guess I should buy some PU and actually taste it...for the first time. As if the stuff I'll get here in Florida even compares to the fresh stuff.

The fresh stuff isn't skunked is it? I have a feeling anything I get here will be.

I guess I should buy some PU and actually taste it...for the first time. As if the stuff I'll get here in Florida even compares to the fresh stuff.

The fresh stuff isn't skunked is it? I have a feeling anything I get here will be.

After drinking PU in Slovakia (just south of where it's made) a few summers back, I can certainly attest that what we get here doesn't taste nearly as good. Although I was a much bigger fan of Zlaty Bazant...

Back