Has anyone found paint strainers in Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
With the hop shortage and supply problems, I am probably going to need to rely on pellet hops more and more, so I bought the parts to make a hop strainer like these:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40738

But I searched high and low around Calgary and couldn't find paint strainer bags anywhere. The paint experts at Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, and Home Hardware had never heard of them. Has anyone in Canada found them?

mr x said:
I bought the small ones at Home Depot in Halifax. The big ones were right there beside them.
Really? Darn. I went to TWO HD's in Calgary, and all they had were little cones for straining paint. They also don't list them on their website.

I asked staff at both stores, and they just looked at me like I was crazy (sort of like when I asked to buy a big Rubbermaid cooler in the middle of January last year!).

Any chance you have the packaging with a SKU number on it?

No, sorry, threw out the packaging. They were at the end of the aisle if that helps. Sometimes these big stores are fairly conformist. I'll be out that way maybe tomorrow. If I am I'll check what it is.

If you can't come up with one, I'll ship one out to you. I may even be able to get Home Depot to do that for me. I'm sure you'll find one out there, but just incase, I can do that.

mr x said:
If you can't come up with one, I'll ship one out to you. I may even be able to get Home Depot to do that for me. I'm sure you'll find one out there, but just incase, I can do that.
Thanks -- I'll do what Brad suggests first and check out some paint stores. They were all closed by the time I had been everywhere else on Saturday!

mr x said:
Hey mr x -- thanks for the offer, but I called around and Benjamin Moore has them in stock for $2.50. I called a couple of other 'cheapo' paint stores that knew what I was looking for, but didn't carry them.

Brad -- thanks for the suggestion to try a real paint store. Not sure how that slipped my mind today! (Mondays don't agree with me, I guess.)

:mug:

FlyGuy said:
Hey mr x -- thanks for the offer, but I called around and Benjamin Moore has them in stock for $2.50. I called a couple of other 'cheapo' paint stores that knew what I was looking for, but didn't carry them.

Brad -- thanks for the suggestion to try a real paint store. Not sure how that slipped my mind today! (Mondays don't agree with me, I guess.)

:mug:
It happens. I'm still jacked from a great weekend of steelheading so it doesn't feel like Monday for me. :D

bradsul said:
It happens. I'm still jacked from a great weekend of steelheading so it doesn't feel like Monday for me. :D
Oh you just HAD to throw that in for me, didn't you! Oh man, I haven't been fishing since AUGUST! It has been almost that long since I brewed, too (not counting insta-beer kits).

Seriously, good for you man -- I bet it was a blast. I gotta get out soon before the season here is done. Either that or I gotta make a trip and drop off my family at my parent's house near Chilliwack and do some stealheading myself!

It's been too long since I built new gear (I don't count my new kegerator tower) so maybe this will be my next project while I save up for a recirculating pump. :D

FlyGuy said:
Oh you just HAD to throw that in for me, didn't you! Oh man, I haven't been fishing since AUGUST! It has been almost that long since I brewed, too (not counting insta-beer kits).

Seriously, good for you man -- I bet it was a blast. I gotta get out soon before the season here is done. Either that or I gotta make a trip and drop off my family at my parent's house near Chilliwack and do some stealheading myself!
Sorry man. :D But I pretty much think of beer or fishing (or hockey) so my conversations all tend to gravite toward one or the other. No SWMBO and no kids means I can do that though.

One of these:

Brew Bucket Filter Bag, FineBrew Bucket Filter Bag. Nylon filter with Elastic top. Fits over 7.9 and 6.5 fermenters.

When opened it looks a lot like a large shower cap. It has an elastic band that stretches over your bucket. I also place 6 clothes pins on it to hold it in place as I pour my hot wort through it to catch the hops. Then I sparge the hops with water and remove it. I've been using it this way since 1994.

If you do not use the clothes pins the weight of the liquid will push the net into the primary...bad situation...

Neat -- thanks. I have never seen one of those before. It looks like an even bigger version of the paint strainers I was looking for. I'll keep my eyes open for them if I need a bigger one.

That does look interesting. I was doing something similar by putting the small paintstrainer stretched around the funnel into the carboy

Back