Both my fermenters are the same size is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthStreet

Reaction score
This is my first batch, I'm making White House Honey Ale, it's only been sitting in primary for two days now so if this is a problem then I do have some time to solve it. I was watching some videos on how to rack your beer to a secondary fermenter and a couple of them said to use a smaller fermenter for secondary fermentation, both my bucket and carboy are 6 gallons and its a 5 gallon batch is this a problem? When I transfer will the extra space be an issue? Thanks for any help.

Nope - only a problem if you are trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter to ferment 5 gallons of beer. (A whole other topic - do a quick search if you are curious - but you don't necessarily need to do secondary at all. You can just leave it in primary for 3 weeks and then move to bottling bucket to bottle.)
If you were going to secondary ferment for a long time, the extra headspace might be an issue for oxidation. But, generally - you are fine.

Nope - only a problem if you are trying to use a 5 gallon fermenter to ferment 5 gallons of beer. (A whole other topic - do a quick search if you are curious - but you don't necessarily need to do secondary at all. You can just leave it in primary for 3 weeks and then move to bottling bucket to bottle.)
If you were going to secondary ferment for a long time, the extra headspace might be an issue for oxidation. But, generally - you are fine.

I agree. Your fine right now but further into your brewing experience you might want to look into getting rid of that headspace. If you just begining your brewing experience I dont think you need to worry about it right now.

Back