Beer Magazine... Best one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a magazine subscription, and deciding between Beer Advocate and BYO. Anybody have both of these? Which is better? I'd kinda like something with both general beer (brewery news, commercial beer reviews, etc.) as well as homebrewing (techniques, recipes). Either of these have parts dedicated to both? Any other magazines that do? Any help would be great, thanks!!!

As a homebrew, I have no interest in beer advocate. I'd go with BYO or Zymurgy. If you really want to read about commercial beer, then consider beer advocate, but there are other alternatives to that one too.

I've had many of them, but the 4 I stick with now are BYO, Zymurgy, Imbibe, and All About Beer.

All have good general information about beer, only BYO and Zymurgy really have homebrewer info, but the other two are fun beer/alcohol reads just as well.

I receive both All About Beer and Draft. If you're only going to get one mag, I would suggest All About Beer. They do lots of general beer discussion and there is a homebrew article in each issue geared towards a particular style and a sample recipe. It is definitely not the highly technical homebrewing stuff discussed in BYO or Zymurgy, but a lot of that info is shared here freely. I appreciate that All About Beer (and Draft) doesn't cater to just the Imperial Stout/IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPA beer styles the way that a lot of online beer forums do.

If you have a Barnes and Noble in the area you can go there and check each one out. I picked up a BYO and Zymurgy there yesterday, to see which one I like. They also had Imbibe and All About Beer. I subscribe to BA and like it, but really nothing in it about home brew.

Back