Is a blow off hose necessary in a 6 gal carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browntrout

Reaction score
I have just put a porter into a 6 gal glass carboy for its primary fermentation (my second batch ever). Just wondering if people think there is enough head room that a three piece air lock would be ok or do i need to do the blow off hose thing.

I have the blow off hose set up but i'm questioning its air-tightness and it's that much more stuff to deal with.

I have been using a blowoff for all my primary fermentations. I recommend it, but that’s just me. I feel it's easier to add the blow off tube now, then wait till the blasted thing is over flowing with yeast.
Cheers

JJ

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to make a blow-off tube? Obviously you need a hose, but what other parts do you usually use and how do you control tightness, such as an airlock system?

Why do some of you use glass carboys over buckets for primary fermentation? Like what's the advantage other than the fact that glass gives you less of a chance to inhibit bacteria over plastic. I would think it would be harder to get the wort in there.

Reasons I can think of to use them:
1)You can see what's going on.
2)Easier to sample from
3)Less chance of infection because, as you noted, of a scratch in the plastic harboring nasties. Also, you have a 1" opening when drawing a sample as opposed to the entire top opening.
4)Easy to set up with a blow off tube.

Disadvantages
1)Fragile! Better Bottles are the way to go according to many brewers
2)Weight
3)Cost (this is why I don't currently have any glass... haven't been able to afford it since coming back to brewing)
4)Exposure to light is a problem if carboy isn't covered.

Revvy posted a picture of his quick and easy blow off tube you should search for. It'll show you clearly how a blow off tube can be made.

The LHBS in Tempe,Az offers a small glass tube (the crack pipe) that fits snugly into 3/8" tube and bung. you run it into a jar half filled with sanitized solution or jug depending on how vigorous the fermentation. to make a large air lock. 6.5 gallon carboy, notice foam all the way to jug. DFH 60 clone.

Gallon Blow.jpg

I use a blow-off for the first 3-4 days on every brew now. Better safe than sorry for me. If you have an extra 3 piece airlock you can cut off the plastic X at the bottom of the stem(dremel,hacksaw) or just a little bit above that X. Then insert it into your carboy or bucket and attach a piece of tubing to the center post of the airlock. It worked on the fly for me and I'm still using the 1st one I hacked up.

If you are using a glass carboy, a 1-1/4 od vinyl tube just fits in the neck, for a quick and easy blowoff tube. I use a blowoff for almost everything.

thanks for all the feedback. seems unanimous for the blow off. guess i'll have to go with that. and if i don't i can't say i haven't been warned when it does volcano on me.

Going along with the general theme, is a blowoff needed for a bucket? I've been using an Ale Pail as my primary, and thus far have stuck to fairly mild-mannered yeasts and average gravity brews. The standard 3-piece has been fine.

But now I'm looking to get into some serious 1.090 brews + highly attenuating yeasties. Would this be enough to overwhelm an average pail?

Back