Startup brewing company needing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerohelix

Reaction score
Hi my name is Philip and a few partners and I are putting ourselves together to form a nanobrewery in San Francisco. We have gained some momentum catering to private events (at no charge for now) and have built a little bit of a following. We're not "large" like anchor steam or anything, but I think we'll get there.

Anyway I'm shooting out a message to the CA forum to see if there is anyone that can help us score grain at wholesale price. Perhaps a homebrewer that is grandfathered into an account with Country malt group, or if you're a pro perhaps we can work something out. For now at least, until we have our licenses up in order and we are able to open our own wholesale account. We don't plan to sell our beer yet until then, however we want to be able to build a stock of beer that we can distribute as samples and help get our name out there.

Thanks!

Hi my name is Philip and a few partners and I are putting ourselves together to form a nanobrewery in San Francisco. We have gained some momentum catering to private events (at no charge for now) and have built a little bit of a following. We're not "large" like anchor steam or anything, but I think we'll get there.

Anyway I'm shooting out a message to the CA forum to see if there is anyone that can help us score grain at wholesale price. Perhaps a homebrewer that is grandfathered into an account with Country malt group, or if you're a pro perhaps we can work something out. For now at least, until we have our licenses up in order and we are able to open our own wholesale account. We don't plan to sell our beer yet until then, however we want to be able to build a stock of beer that we can distribute as samples and help get our name out there.

Thanks!

Have you checked out the laws to see what you are doing is actually legal? As far as I read it "homebrewing" is specifically limited to supplying your household with a specific annual amount of beer for personal consumption. And you can only remove beer from the household for specific purposes, e.g. homebrew compititions.
While I would normally say that TTB or whoever it is controlling the regulations does not care for a small time homebrewer giving a few beers to a freind, but I think they would have a different view on a potential brewery supplying beer to the market (even though it is not sold).
Just be careful with how you go about it because a black mark against your names for putting a foot out of line now might crush all your hopes and dreams of opening a brewery in the future.

With regards to grain, why you don't just get a sellers' permit from Board of Equalization, and start a homebrew supply shop business and purchase grain (and hops, and yeast and cleaning supplies and all the other stuff you'll need)? I'm sure you can get an account with Country malt, or BSG or Brewmaster San Leandro....

Cheers!

NanoMan

Back