False bottom problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prodigalx2

Reaction score
I'm converting a Sankey keg into an MLT and I didn't realize that the bottom has a star shape indentation that's about a foot across. I've got a 10 inch false bottom that I have left over from my Igloo cooler and was hoping I didn't have to get a new 12 inch to save myself $50... Any ideas on how to plug the holes under the FB so I don't get a stuck sparge?

I think a FB needs to cover the whole bottom so I would get the 12". What holes underneath your FB, are you talking about the star indentation which is dead space

I think you're right... There's really no way around it. by "holes" i mean there are canals that lead into the center instead of just being flush.

I just picked up a 12" piece of Perforated Sheet SS for next to nothing. I just went to my local Perf vendor and scooped up some drop for $.52 a pound. So I just got a new 12 inch false bottom for 25 cents. All I need to do is drill the 7/8 hole and I'm good to go. My cut was kind of rough so I think I'm going to wrap some old tubing around the edge.

I was planning on throwing 5 or 6 screws in about half way from the center and the edge. I'm going to plumb my drain valve through the center of it with 2 SS pipe nuts and a copper thread to sweat adapter. Do you think that will do it?

Back